Author Topic: 20 Gauge barrel weight?  (Read 429 times)

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
20 Gauge barrel weight?
« on: January 21, 2012, 05:28:23 AM »
I want to add a 22 inch mod 20 Ga barrel to my existing SB1 Frame.  Might even just get another shotgun if I can get one used less then the barrel would be.  I want it to weigh about what it weighs now with the 28 inch (27.5 actual) 12 Ga on it which is about 5.5 Lbs.  I figure that it would be 5 1/2 inches shorter then the 12 but more steel around the chamber and first foot of barrel so the weight should be close.  My question is; how much would that 20 ga barrel weigh?

I used my 3 Lb max postal scale to weigh what I have.
  12 Ga 28 inch mod barrel w/out screw       37.7 oz
  Pallet wood forearm with screw                 4.3 oz
  SB1 frame with attachment bolt               25.3 oz
  Pallet wood stock with plate & screws       19.2 oz

Whole shotgun 5 Lbs 6 1/2 oz.  Stock has been cut to a straight stock and stock and forearm slimmed down quite a bit.  This set-up would make a really great 37 1/2 inch carry gun in 20 Ga but I really want to know more about the weight first.  Any one with that barrel and a scale that could tell me what that barrel weighed I would appreciate it.

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
Re: 20 Gauge barrel weight?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 09:00:54 AM »
jpshaw - I have the exact barrel that you want to know about.  Don't have a postal scale, so I used a bathroom scale.  I weighed myself without the barrel, then weighed myself holding the barrel, and subtracted the difference.  Don't know how accurate the bathroom scale is, it showed my weight at 5Lbs. more than I thought I weighed :P .  It came out to 2.2Lbs or 35.2oz (16 X 2.2 = 35.2).

On the subject of 20 Ga barrels, you can probably find one in the classifieds from $40 on up, depending on the condition.  Don't think your going to find another shotgun at that price.
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 11:28:35 AM »
Thanks OldSchoolRanger.  I thought it would be close to the 12 in weight being a little shorter but with more "beef" in the chamber area and up to the end of the forearm which is what I wanted.  I have a Handi .30-30 with an extra .44 Mag barrel for Louisiana's Primitive Season but they do not balance like the 12 does.  I will check the classified ads.  Thanks again for taking the time to take that barrel off and weight it for me.

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 02:29:17 PM »
jp,

I  have a 22" 20 ga mod choke barrel that is stamped Topper Jr. Classic.  Barrel appears to be as shipped from the factory.  On an electronic food scale it weighs 2 pounds 4.8 ounces, so 0.9 oz lighter than your 12 ga barrel so I don't think the change in balance will be noticeable.

BB

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 06:45:05 AM »
Thanks bikerbeans, now I know I want that barrel to build my little carry "carbine" if you can call a scattergun a carbine.  If I can get that barrel to throw those Foster slugs into a 9 inch paper plate at 50 yds with the standard bead sight I will have the "birds to bucks" gun I want.  I won't use it too much for direct deer hunting but I get tired of deer sitting early on in the season and start squirrel and bunny hunting again but want to be able to stuck that slug in there if the opportunity presents itself.  Thanks again guys.