Author Topic: Blackout (or just unconcious ?)  (Read 1531 times)

Offline twoshooter

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Remember the Starfish......
Blackout (or just unconcious ?)
« on: February 02, 2012, 02:17:44 PM »
With the new "slimmer" company, has anyone heard a peep from anywhere about IF, when and how many 300 AAC's may be available and from where? If they dont show up I guess I will have some dies to sell. I only have 1 other thing on my shooting "bucket list" at the moment, so if not this it will go to fishing stuff or replacing my deck.
1000 years ago Men KNEW the Earth was the center of the Universe.....500 years ago Men KNEW the world was flat....... 15 minutes ago you KNEW man was alone in the universe.... Just IMAGINE what we will know tomorrow !! "K"- from Men in Black.

Offline lee1954

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Blackout (or just unconcious ?)
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 04:13:08 PM »
I may be wrong -- but it sounded like someone was having a run of them made -- possible not even the the H&R name on them ..... I think this was commen for a store brand -- like say Coast to Coast name on a H&R breakopen shotgun....
I hope that someone that knows a lot more,, helps us, as I too want one! Dan

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 04:37:59 PM »
SSK industries if memory serves.  ;)
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline jeepmann1948

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (67)
  • San Angelo, Texas
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 12:50:28 AM »
Try this site and forum they probably have more answers ::) (hopefully)

http://300aacblackout.com/

Also might pm member:
rsilvers  he has posted some info on the 300 aac blackout
"it ain't what you shoot em with......................
  it's where you hit em "

Offline Fred McIntire

• Trade Count: (31)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.FredMcIntire.Com
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 06:17:09 AM »
I really cannot say anything other than . . . . . .

Be patient. .300 AAC Blackout things come to those who wait.   ;)

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 06:11:50 PM »
Folks sure are getting excited about a round that has been available for almost as long as the .221 Fireball case has been around now that it has a new name. The concept belongs to SSK Industries and JD Jones.

Since he was only able to copyright the name properly called a .300 Whisper it seems other folks wish to now want to get rich on his idea.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Fred McIntire

• Trade Count: (31)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.FredMcIntire.Com
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 07:38:57 PM »
Folks sure are getting excited about a round that has been available for almost as long as the .221 Fireball case has been around now that it has a new name. The concept belongs to SSK Industries and JD Jones.

Since he was only able to copyright the name properly called a .300 Whisper it seems other folks wish to now want to get rich on his idea.

It reminds me of the lyrics to a song:

" Funny, when you're dead how people start listening "

:)

Offline twoshooter

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 03:43:47 AM »
I am not really excited about a 300 AAC. I wanted a 32/20, but not a stub job. Not enough wanted that to get a run made. This is VERY close in case capacity, but I still did not want one, then I found out the barrel was threaded for brakes and suppressors. I got a bit more interested. Then someone got a thread on how you could ream a rim cut into the chamber and use 357 brass to make ammo. THAT is when I decided I would get one. A round  that can be made from 2 totally unrelated cases, both rimmed and rimless, shoot quiet subsonic loads,with heavy cast, or say 147 gr FMJ, and screamers with 85 gr JHP 32 bullets. That is quirky enough and versatile enough to get my attention. My friend who hunts on my property and has a FFL will get me one for his cost + shipping and sales tax. If his cost is over $300 I will have to think very hard about this, but if not, this may be the only run ever made. I missed the little Marlin CL in 25/20 when it came through, so I think I will try this. 
1000 years ago Men KNEW the Earth was the center of the Universe.....500 years ago Men KNEW the world was flat....... 15 minutes ago you KNEW man was alone in the universe.... Just IMAGINE what we will know tomorrow !! "K"- from Men in Black.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 11:31:07 AM »
  I asked RSilvers about the 300 blackout rifles.  He said that they are being built and AAC is buying the whole run and selling them through their dealers.  It may still fizzle if they don't sell well, but the first batch is being built.  He didn't know if H&R was going to make more than just what was ordered to sell through their network.

While the cartridge and the Handi aren't a perfect match, AAC is promoting the new round so it makes sense that they want to have some rifles chambered in it that cost less than the custom ARs and bolt actions that the round is geared toward.  The Handi is aparently a gateway rifle.  They will be selling the Handis for less than they sell a chambered barrel for the Rem 700 or for an AR.

It's a topic over on his forum.

With a bit of luck, somebody at H&R is reading this thread from time to time and deciding where to put R&D resources based at least in part on what the 'fan club' here on Graybeard's is saying.

Did I mention how much I'd like to see factory Handis in 45acp, 40s&w and 9mm?
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline lee1954

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2012, 05:43:41 AM »
OK Sorry -Graybeard- I see your point
 I - we need to remember loyalty...
And would love to get an SSK barrel for my Handi .
I support SSKs freedom to not like Handi rifles.

Kind people a SSK -- we really need a high end option for barrels, And you guy make very very nice barrels ...Please --- Again I support your freedom --   
                                               Dan

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2012, 05:51:16 AM »
Someone on here, don't recall who, said they had spoken with JD and he had agreed to rechamber their handi barrel to a JDJ round. Perhaps they will work on them now Dunno.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2012, 05:59:31 AM »
SSK just did a 358JDJ Handi rechamber for giddens1972.  ;) Unfortunately, there's no .30 cal H&R barrel that will work for a 300 Whisper without being rebored or stubbed first.

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,249544.msg1099452074.html#msg1099452074

Offline twoshooter

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2012, 07:26:30 AM »
OK, let me throw this out there. We have not been able to get any consensus on a particular chambering in any of the polls and threads here. Maybe there would be enough support to get a MINIMAL chamber round that could then be cut to everything. Like trotterleg (I think) said maybe we could get a 32 H&R with a 308 bore. If they did a run of those they could be rechambered to any 30 cal, just like the 357 can become any 35 cal. I find it fascinating that no one in market research has not picked up on this more. I mean, they could take 30/30 barrels, which they already make, and then just cut the small chamber, which would have to be cheaper. How can this be more difficult, there must be an answer , but I cant remember hearing it. I am looking to the spring with anticipation.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2012, 07:59:19 AM »
In 2010, the minimum order quantity for special orders was 250 firearms for a common bore like .308", 500 for an uncommon bore. Good luck finding a distributor/dealer that's willing to buy 250 .32 H&Rs or .327" Federals.  :-\

Tim

Offline twoshooter

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2012, 09:22:24 AM »
I know it is wishful thinking, but it is more likely than one specific cartridge. You could then make a 300 Whisper, 32/20, 30 TC, 30 Herrett, 7.62x 39, 300 Savage, 303 Savage, 30/40 Krag, any of those AI versions. I am just daydreaming because it is dreary here, cool and muddy, and I dont have enough ambition to get up and do something around thehouse.

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2012, 09:45:26 AM »
This cartridge is fascinating to me since it seems so AR compatible, for the fact that it is based on the 223 and Remington makes ammo for it. If i was gong to buy an AR upper, it would be for this round.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2012, 05:44:39 PM »
The round is the .221 Fireball necked up to take .308" bullets. SSK has been chambering ARs for it basically since the .221 Fireball hit the market. It is properly called the .300 Whisper and the way SSK does them they work well with heavy bullets at subsonic velocity andd lighter bullets at supersonic velocity.

You guys have to understand that the folks making the handi rifles REALLY don't want you rechambering them to all sorts of other rounds they haven't chosen to chamber for. So why would they make a barrel just so you could do so? As Tim said no distributor is gonna order that many guns in some oddball round that even tho you might want it not all that many others would.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline JimG

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2012, 05:18:26 AM »
Why all the hype with the Blackout round? I looked in my reloading manuals this weekend and the cartridge is identical to the 7.62x39mm in all respects.

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2012, 11:56:17 AM »
I saw an ad for this rifle today in the latest Army Times newspaper. It says MSRP is $359 and will be released mid March.

Thanks, Dinny
Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline twoshooter

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2012, 03:41:42 PM »
Thanks Dinny. I realize that all of the "it is just like......." kicks in now. Here is the point....a 7.62 X 39 is comparable. OK. I want a barrel. Do they make it now? No. I really want a 32/20. Do they make it? No. Could I load down a 30/30 to squib load pressures? Yes. BUT, I have a load for my 30/30, I buy bulk bullets for it, I have the scope sighted in, do I want to mess with all that? NO. How is 7.62X 39 brass to obtain? Expensive and rare, all my redneck friends shoot milsurp ammo with steel cases at abandoned toilets and water heaters. How about 223 brass? Those same friends often won't even pick it up at the range, they buy boxes 100 of the cheap stuff at wally world and just leave it lay. The kids won't even pick it up for 5 cents apiece, I have to scrounge it up myself. How about 357? You may have to buy it, but it is not expensive, and it is all over, everybody has one...or 3. The load density on a 300AAC is way different from a 30/30 with 10 gr of Unique also, and I can use pistol primers in the 357, so whatever primer I have, I can load for it.
This may turn out to be the biggest piece of crap ever made, but like I said above, they made a 40 S&W/ 38/40 Ruger, I never got one. They made 32/20 and 25/20 CL marlins, I never got one. I could have bought a Browning SXS 20 ga brand new for $289 when they came out in the 70's. I did not. I was too strapped, and even $289 was a bridge too far. I still dont have much, but if they only make 500 of these, and I know I can get it below MSRP by at least 15% IF I can get it at all, THAT is not going to break me. If I get it, or if I don't, either way I will be happy :) ;) 8)

Offline Ol BW

• Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2012, 09:24:20 PM »
Twoshooter maybe this will help you with your blackout handi affliction!

http://youtu.be/njaBDMyzI9I