Author Topic: Quaker Cannon  (Read 637 times)

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
Quaker Cannon
« on: January 26, 2012, 10:31:00 AM »
I'm reading Boards Away / Firearms...  apparently "Quaker Cannon" a USA term although not a new concept at the time of our country's founding...  both carriage guns & swivels were imitated in wood so prospective assailants would be detered by the "armament" as viewed from aloft.  I immediately thought of  Zulu.  :)
My sole attempt at wooden guns was hand carved revolvers, gifted to my Police Captain's on their retirement. 

Offline Zulu

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
Re: Quaker Cannon
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 10:59:01 AM »
I'm reading Boards Away / Firearms...  apparently "Quaker Cannon" a USA term although not a new concept at the time of our country's founding...  both carriage guns & swivels were imitated in wood so prospective assailants would be detered by the "armament" as viewed from aloft.  I immediately thought of  Zulu.  :)
My sole attempt at wooden guns was hand carved revolvers, gifted to my Police Captain's on their retirement.

They are great untill someone calls your bluff. :P :-\
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 11:35:43 AM »
Most american Whalers were painted to look more like a frigate than a merchant ship and they didn't waste space on wooden guns....
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 02:10:01 PM »
I worked in a TV shop when I was in HS (early 1960's).  My boss told me of when they were taking back the Aleutian Islands from the Japanese that they didn't have enough .50 cals to arm the aircraft flying supply runs; so they took broom-sticks and put them where the machine guns should have been.  That was enough to keep the enemy fighters away.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 03:00:43 PM »
Fortunately natives did not have lookouts aloft.  They also used false muzzles attached to the hulls but the lookouts could see they were fake.   
Interesting about the broomsticks.
Most american Whalers were painted to look more like a frigate than a merchant ship and they didn't waste space on wooden guns....

Offline jamesfrom180

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 04:24:11 AM »
Doolittle's raid the use of "Quaker guns" was to lighten the weight.  Also large number used in the Civil War.  Nothing new but like Zulu said hate to have someone call your bluff.
AMMA Bosslopper 1988

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 05:08:31 AM »
In recent years we have used Quaker guns as counter battery targets.  At a distance they are a tough target to hit.
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 07:33:43 AM »
I would think the use of shell would be most effective as a gun without a crew is little threat.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 08:24:10 AM »
I agree that shell would be the most effective.  Shot would be effective if you could catch the battery in flank.
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA