Author Topic: Missing lube in the grooves  (Read 770 times)

Offline huntswithdogs

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Missing lube in the grooves
« on: February 14, 2012, 07:48:03 AM »
I picked up some cast bullets from the gunstore. As I'm just about to the bottom, I'm finding bullets with half the lube missing.
 What do ya'll do to fix this?
I don't cast my own so I don't have one of those press thingys that resize and lube bullets.
I don't wanna just shoot them like this. My BH leads bad enough already!

HWD

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Missing lube in the grooves
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 12:22:09 PM »
Buy some of Veral's LBT soft blue lube and just apply it by hand into the grooves. It's a real PITA to do that way if you have a lot but if it's only a few it isn't that bad.

I've noticed most of the bullets in one of my recent cast bullet orders had anywhere from 10%-15% to over 50% of the lube missing. I likely won't buy from that supplier (Leadheads) again.

What I will do since I do have all the equipment to cast and lube/size my own is run them thru my lube sizer. I might even pick out the rest of the lousy hard lube and that way will have them full of Veral's lube.

Another lube I've found that works well is the green RCBS lube. I don't believe it does quite as good a job as Veral's LBT Blue but it's pretty good.

You could melt the lube and then pan lube your bullets if you have a bunch of them but to me that's more trouble than just hand lubing them.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline kbstenberg

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 12:30:24 PM »
Huntswithdogs
How about sending me a PM. I can put some bullet lube in a small container an mail you a little. Let me know how meany bullets need re-lubing. Just smear it into the lube gruve with your finger.
The lube not sticking in the gruve is usually a prob. with hard lubes.
Good thing I made a triple batch last nite.
Kevin

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 05:48:30 AM »
just shoot them. If the lube is a decent lube you probably have enough to lube the bullets. If its a good lube its a soft lube and most of it will be out of the bullet by the time it gets out of the barrel anyway so there shouldnt be any ballance problem. I used to fool around alot with bullets like the big 4570 and 512s that had 3 or 4 lube groves and youd be surprised how often accuracy can improve buy just lubing less of the lube groves. I remember reading one cast bullet old timer saying the best accuracy youll get is using just enough lube to prevent leading but no more.
blue lives matter

Offline huntswithdogs

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 04:21:24 AM »
Thanks for the replies, guys.

KB, I may take ya up on that.

I found pieces of the lube stuff down in the bottom of the box or stuck to other bullets. I mashed in into the groove and loaded them. Hopefully this other box is better. Time will tell.

Thanks again,
HWD

Offline huntswithdogs

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 04:24:20 AM »
Oh this stuff wasn't what I'd call soft. Not quite as hard as a crayon, but close.

HWD