Author Topic: HELP! Need An Ejector Latch Spring!  (Read 403 times)

Offline Winter Hawk

• Trade Count: (47)
HELP! Need An Ejector Latch Spring!
« on: February 02, 2012, 11:38:41 AM »
I am getting set to ream my .30-30 barrel out to .30-40 so I disassembled the ejector per the directions from Perklo.  Just as he stated, when you remove the main pin through the ejector, the latch and its spring jump out.  I thought I had it under control but the spring dove off the work bench and made its escape.   :-[

S-o-o-o, I am looking for another latch spring.  If someone has one they can sell me I would appreciate a PM.  Otherwise I will throw myself on the mercies of Numrich Arms or H&R, perish the thought!

Thanks,
-Kees-
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
Re: HELP! Need An Ejector Latch Spring!
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 12:42:24 PM »
thats one them tasks that requires a gallon zip lock bag.......... 8)
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 01:53:48 PM »
A rag across the pieces before driving the last pin out would have captured it.  Hindsight is grand, ain't it?

-Kees-
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Offline j.k280

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 02:12:11 PM »
look under the heaviest, most difficult object in your room, and it will be half way under it  :o   j.k280

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 02:43:17 PM »
Kees,
Do you mean the t-bar spring or the latch spring?  I have a t-bar spring. 
BTW, the same short pin you make to hold the trigger assembly together for removal/reinstall will also hold you t-bar & latch together.
BB

Kees,
Read your post too fast, you be workin' on the barrel and I be thinkin' about the receiver. :-[    I have an used ejector spring that is from a early 90s vintage 45-70 barrel.  I can send it if you think it will work.  If you come across the spring that is MIA just mail one back to me.
BB

RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline GEMSTATE

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 04:24:10 PM »
Dragging a bar magnet around on a string might save the day.

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 04:30:20 PM »
BB,

Thanks for the offer; I need the ejector latch spring which goes underneath the ejector, not the ejector spring which goes to the front.  I saw one on the Numrich site so I know what it looks like at least.  I'll see what the hardware store has to offer.

Gemstate, thanks for an excellent idea.  I just need to locate a bar magnet....

-Kees-

Offline GEMSTATE

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 05:54:55 PM »
Yes Sir, Your welcome. Harbor freight is where I get mine but any auto parts store has mechanics telescoping magnets.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 07:24:17 PM »
True Value and Ace Hardware both carry springs that can be cut down to work, that's what I've used when ran out of em.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline ratdog

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 09:23:22 PM »
I USE AN OLD big speaker mag net. 8)

Offline Brian56

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 11:55:19 PM »

PM me with your mailing address and I will send you out one for free.

Brian@Remington:
Brian@Remington

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2012, 12:31:24 AM »

Brian@Remington:

Brian,

I was removing the ejector from my 7x57 barrel and I lost the barrel.  Do you want my mailing address?  ;D ::)

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2012, 04:12:40 AM »
Brian,

Thanks for the offer, but Bikerbeans has said he will pop one in the mail to me.  As usual, the fine folks here at GBO come through!

Tim,

I would get one at the hardware store but I have no idea what diameter spring I need.  I didn't even see that puppy before it was gone!  I should have laid a shop cloth over it to capture it, didn't think of that until it was gone.   ::)

-Kees-

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2012, 04:20:59 AM »

Brian@Remington:

Brian,

I was removing the ejector from my 7x57 barrel and I lost the barrel.  Do you want my mailing address?  ;D ::)

BB
;D ;D
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     bugeye

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2012, 05:47:22 AM »
Tim,

I would get one at the hardware store but I have no idea what diameter spring I need.  I didn't even see that puppy before it was gone!  I should have laid a shop cloth over it to capture it, didn't think of that until it was gone.   ::)

-Kees-

Just big enough to fit the pocket, in fact you can make the pocket slightly bigger if you have to, just don't go deeper, and make sure the spring doesn't fully compress before the end of latch travel or it will break the end off the latch, don't ask how I know!! :o

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline bubbaed

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2012, 09:22:45 AM »
Quick question on reaming, are you going to do this by hand or in a lathe? I am seriously considering doing this to mine.