Author Topic: New concealed carry from the show today  (Read 934 times)

Offline flatlander

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
New concealed carry from the show today
« on: December 31, 2011, 11:58:56 AM »
I made an unplanned purchase today at the gun show. A dealer was selling taurus 738 TCPs for under $200 out the door. I couldn't pass up on the price, and it seems to be a pretty decent gun so far. My buddy got one, too, since it seemed to be a pretty good deal.  I'll give a better review when I get it to the range this week.
I also got my hands on an LC9 and a pf-9 for the first time. What small little 9mms for concealed carry! I might have to add one of those to my collection, too.

Offline Spirithawk

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: New concealed carry from the show today
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 02:44:19 PM »
Congrats. That sounds like a heck of a deal. Let us know how you like it. Pics?

Offline flatlander

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 12:59:32 PM »
First off, here's a picture of my Taurus 738 TCP:

I took it to the range for the first time today, and brought my buddy and his, too. It was a fun gun to shoot. It had a little snap to it, but it was nothing unpleasant. I put 50 rounds through it, and could have shot 100 or more easily. It was a lot of fun to shoot.  The only thing I think I'd like to improve is the sight visibility and I will probably put a little white paint on the sights to help out. I also had located an extended clip that would allow another finger on the grip, but after shooting, I don't think I will need them.

After shooting the first clip through, both of our groups stayed inside a 6" circle at 10 yards. It was more than accurate enough for the gun's purpose, and I think it will only get better with more experience and improved sight visibility. The trigger is pretty decent, and the locking slide on the last round was a nice feature, too. 

The first clip that I loaded shot all of the rounds except a FTF on the last one. After that, there were no more FTFs or FTEs on that clip. I loaded the other clip, and it did the same thing on the first loading. Last round FTF. After that, it shot everything I loaded in it without any problems.
My buddy's gun did even better. He had one FTF on the first clip full, and after that, it shot terrific and had no issues at all.

Take down for cleaning was pretty easy. 1 pin allowed the slide to come off, and reassembly was just as easy, but that might just be due to me being used to Mark IIs.  ;D

Overall, based on shooting 2 of these, I am impressed with the guns, especially for the price. It's going to be a great CCW since it is light (10 oz), reliable (so far), and accurate. I'll post updates, but at this point, I would recommend them to anyone considering one. Fit and finish on both of these guns were good, and I don't believe that they look or feel like a cheap or inexpensive firearm at all.  I know a lot of guys don't like taurus guns, but I will say my first experience with them has been very positive so far.

Offline pspinc2003

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (21)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 04:35:56 PM »
And I'll bet by now you like this gun even more?!?  I have had more luck with Taurus firearms in the last year than with Ruger....and contrary to popular opinion, their customer service is decent....

Offline flatlander

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 02:09:05 PM »
I've had a bit of bad luck with Ruger stuff lately myself.  I've sold off 3 in the last 6 months, and am going to be real slow to buy any of their newer stuff.

Yep, I still like it a lot. In fact, I just picked up the components to start reloading cast bullets, so I can shoot it a lot more. I found some cast 95 grn bullets for $48/1000, and at 3 grains of powder per round, I can load 380s for $5/50 with some brass loss factored in. I can shoot a heck of a lot more compared to $15-20/box that 380 ammo costs around here. 

I'm now in the market for a CCW 9 mm now, and I think my finalists are the Kel-tec PF-9, p-11, the Taurus millenium pro and the 709 slim and a Kahr CW9.  I'll have to hit the next show, and try to get each in my hands and see how they feel.