Author Topic: Buckshot from a handgun  (Read 1264 times)

Offline azmark

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Buckshot from a handgun
« on: June 03, 2012, 05:43:11 AM »
This morning I read a post where a guy was kidding around about using a lead ball loaded in a handgun cartridge.  I looked it up and found that 000 buckshot is .36 in diameter.  Has anyone actually tried loading one in a .38 or .357 case?  Might be interesting for plinking or rabbits...
Mark Dickinson
USAF, Retired

Offline Savage

Re: Buckshot from a handgun
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 10:23:37 AM »
Most of us ancient reloaders have stuffed many types of projectiles in cartridge cases,---------including buckshot. Don't remember being pleased with the results. It might be ok for close range plinking or vermin control.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 12:48:49 PM »
ive loaded () buck in the 32 special and 32 mag. With 1 grain of  bulseye it makes a good in the garage load. You dont even have to size the brass just prime and stuff a ball in with your thumb and shoot. 
blue lives matter

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 01:14:20 PM »
remington used to make 38 and 357
i have a box of each......interesting

i have made duplex 44s with .433 speer balls
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline Czech_too

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 10:51:02 PM »
I've loaded two RB over a couple of grains of Bullseye in the 32 H&R.  My intent here was for a in the house type round.  Not much chance of over penetration and hitting an adjacent house.  At 7 yards the RB struck within 1 - 1 1/2" of each other repeatedly.
NRA Life Member
Cruffler
INOA

genealogy, another area of interest

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 03:32:54 AM »
OOO for 38 and 357   2 balls   factory made

.433 ...2 balls  9 grains unique   44mag

now have .44o mold

will try 3 balls in 444 soon

OO buck....t-shiet patch
prime and size brass load like a muzzle loader
no powder ram with a pencil....load into gun as normal
good back porch or garage load.....or fast draw

when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline 1911crazy

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2012, 07:22:26 AM »
The Judge revolver in 410 shotgun,  45long colt and in 454casull just may catch on??
When i inherited my borthers stuff i found some speer snake shot in 357mag and in 44mag.  I'm not sure if its still manufactured.  My point is i wonder if BB's would work.

Offline NickSS

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 02:18:32 PM »
I have loaded two .360 diameter balls in a 38 special case some years ago to give it a try.  It worked just fine and at 15 yards the balls hit within 3 inches or so of each other.  I used my stadard 38 powder chare in them seated the first ball with a dowel and then followed with a second and gave a small crimp around the second ball. I have loaded three balls in a 357 mag case but they were less satisfactory for some reason (not as accurate).

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2012, 02:41:35 PM »
I made a version of the Winchester PDX (.410) for my .44 Mag by running round balls through a sizer die, and adding some #9 shot.  Fun to play with, but not something I'd want to shoot regularly from a revolver.

http://www.winchester.com/products/shotshell-ammunition/supreme-elite/pdx1410/Pages/S410PDX1.aspx

keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 06:42:31 AM »
Ya know, I got to thinkin about this when this thread started as I have always read about such goins on with much interest whenever the subject of round ball plinking loads came up.   :-\ 

I figured that some a these loads, pure lead powered by TrailBoss, in my .38 would be fun.  So I started looking at RB moulds.  Then I figured I'd need to get one around .38 cal since the 36 cal would be to iffy when it came to fillin the barrel.   :-\  So I thought a Lee sizer die would squeeze a 38 down pretty good.  But they only have a .358 and I wanted a .359 or .360 so I asked about opening up Lee sizing dies and found out that can be and is done so I figured I was on the right track.   ;D   Now squeezing a .380 ball down to .360 should create a flat waist on the ball.  But I figured that was a good thing since it gave more area for the crimp to go and the rifling to grip.   :)

So what I end up with is a cylinder with 2 round ends.  This started me thinking that the accuracy with that round base wouldn't be all that good.   :-\  Heck!  I hear that beveled bases aren't as accurate as flat bases!   ::)  So there I was, wishing I could think of a way to flatten the bases of my elongated balls so I'd have a short cylinder with one round end and one flat end... and while I was at it, it would make my round ball perfect if I could mark off where the crimp should go.  Then the only thing left would be a way to lube these balls...

Then, slowly, a mental picture of this innovative jewel began to form in my mind...   ???   ::)   :-[ 
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2012, 06:47:37 AM »
well heck!   ::)   let's put the sprue side up on that round ball when we run it through the sizer!  That way we can have a flat tip for extra shock on small game!   ;D

Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2012, 01:28:51 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline ratdog

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2012, 05:40:32 PM »
well  Richard how did they shot? cool idea. ;D

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2012, 01:53:31 AM »
Never did try it out...  :-\   I kinda figured it was to much work tryin to do it the easy way!   ;D

But soon's I shoot up the 400 or so 158 gr. SWC's I have I'm gonna get that 125 gr. Lee mould!  It and TB should make a fine pair!  ;)
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit