Author Topic: DPMS SPORTICAL  (Read 903 times)

Offline jcn59

• Trade Count: (37)
DPMS SPORTICAL
« on: February 13, 2012, 02:53:28 PM »
Have about 50 rounds through it so far with no malfunctions.   Not real happy with the 100 yard accuracy.  This is the best 3 shot group I can get out of it.  What is the secret to getting nice tight groups out of these funny looking black rifles?
Vote them all out, EVERY election!

Does anyone remember the scene from "Quigley Down Under" showing the aborigines lined up on the skyline as far as you could see?   That needs to be US!
NRA Life Member

Offline Bart Solo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: DPMS SPORTICAL
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 03:20:37 PM »
Practice.  ;)

Actually they shoot better after you break in the barrel.   Congratulations.   

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 12:48:42 AM »
Ive got a 223 and a 308 sportical. Both of mine shoot as well as yours does. I chuckle when guys bad mouth them and call them cheap guns. My ar10 sportical is probably the most accurate rifle i own period!
blue lives matter

Offline jcn59

• Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 03:33:47 AM »
I have a friend with a (DPMS) R-25, & it often shoots under an inch at 100.
Vote them all out, EVERY election!

Does anyone remember the scene from "Quigley Down Under" showing the aborigines lined up on the skyline as far as you could see?   That needs to be US!
NRA Life Member

Offline cjclemens

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 04:48:15 AM »
As far as I can tell, that group doesn't look too bad for a stock DPMS AR.  Depending on ammo, MOA groups are about right.  The easiest thing you can do to tighten up groups is replace the trigger - stock DPMS triggers have about a mile of creep in them.  I also use an accu-wedge in mine, but I cant really say if that affected accuracy much, if any.  If you want little cloverleaf groups out of it, that would involve handloading and tailoring a load to the rifle.

Offline cjensen

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 04:49:26 AM »
I just picked up the DPMS sportical 16 inch upper. I shot a similar group at 50 yards with a 2 1/2 pwr heavy duplex scope with a not so good of rest. I was just getting a feel for how it would shoot. Banged off three rounds about as quick as the crosshairs came back down.
Now I will be shooting awfull hand untill deer season.
Doc told me my right shoulder is gone, and I will need a replacement, so time is ticking and I need a light recoiling rifle.

I have found if I want smaller groups I just shoot 1 shot groups.
If I want higher velocity I move my chrono screens closer.
Carl

Write in Scott Walker
My goal in life is to have a carbon footprint the size of Al Gore's. I can be living the good life and know I am not causing global warming. Make Al your carbon standard.