Author Topic: 30-30 Brass Brands  (Read 1107 times)

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • N. E. Indiana
30-30 Brass Brands
« on: February 02, 2012, 12:04:55 PM »
I know it's not considered a precision cartridge but has anyone found by loading different brands of brass if any one kind is better. Also how is it better? Accuracy, capacity, longevity, ??? I have Rem, Win, and Hornady once fired in lever action AND some New Win brass. Got dies and getting ready to load some 150 gr Sierras. What brand brass if any should I start with? Or is it "Whatever Your Gun Likes" I'll be using Redding Dies and I have a new Lee FCD Should I use the FCD? Thanks

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
Re: 30-30 Brass Brands
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 12:18:40 PM »
I buy and use the FCD for every caliber I load for.  ;)  I find that it imparts a more consistent crimp and I have no issues with bullet creep.  If you are loading into a 30-30 lever gun, I'd definitely use it.  ;)  I have had best luck with Winchester and Starline, and had inconsistency and brittle brass with Remington.  I dislike hornady as they rarely keep their brass std. spec. sizes.  I load .32 Special and have winchester and remington, although the remmy's are reserved for back-ups.  lol  Might as well try what you have, but if opportunity strikes, try some Starline, at least in my finding it's best.  I've loaded some of my .45-70 many many times...  ;)
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 12:26:02 PM »
I buy loaded Remington cartridges for $12.50 a box, shoot them and keep relaoding them untill they split with no problems.  I also get a lot of free .30-30 brass that I reload helter skelter with no problems.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline BCB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 12:35:59 PM »
I actually like Federal brass when I can get it…

I use it in my Contender (30-30) with good results…

In the Model 94’s, it doesn’t really seem to matter as those levers weren’t built for super accuracy…

Another reason I like the Federal brass is that it fire forms to 7-30 Waters nicely and it IS the most accurate brass I use in that Contender (7-30)…

But, in all honesty, the 30-30 really doesn’t care which brass is used if the weapon is a lever gun…

Good-luck…BCB

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • N. E. Indiana
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 02:54:01 PM »
Should have said it's going to be used in a H&R Handi. I shot a bunch of Win, Rem and Hornady Frontier factory loads in a Marlin lever before I sold it. The Hornadys were made several years ago. I don't know if the older ammo by Hornady was made any better. I've heard of people not liking Hornady brass in some other calibers (45-70?) I still have some factory Win and Rem ammo to shoot. But getting ready to load some up.

Should I use the Factory Crimp Die for the Handi or will the Reddings crimp OK?

Offline cybin

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 03:57:27 PM »
I have my best luck using Remington brass in my marlin 30-30--seems to  last a bit longer--only problem I have is that the neck gets thicker requiring me to ream the neck after 2 or 3 reloadings. In a single shot you should have fewer problems than in a lever action.

cybin

Offline shot1

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 02:03:05 AM »
I like Winchester brass myself. One thing to note is, do not mix your case makes or you will not get good accuracy. Different cases will most of the time shoot to different points of impact. If I was going to work up a load I would use the cases that I had the most of. If you want a really good crimp die get a Lee Factory Crimp Die.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 02:05:39 AM »
In the Handi you don't need a crimp.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline OLDHandgunner

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 02:44:21 AM »
I have salvaged 100's of 30-30 shells over the years. Remington has always been the best for me. But have never had a problem with Win. or Fed. I have mine sorted and in boxes of 50. Keep them trimmed, primed and ready for loading.

I just started using the Lee FCD a few years ago. Even though I don't own Lee dies these FCD's work great.

Also use the 30-30 brass for my 7x30 Waters, 30 Herrett & my 30-30AI.

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2012, 03:51:37 AM »
The Quest for Accuracy has many possibilities.  May I recommend several simple ones...

1.)  Use fire formed brass from that rifle.

2.)  Neck size only.

3.)  Measure and trim to consistent length each neck sized case.  This provides a repeatable crimp (if warranted).  No crimp necessary for the Handi-.

4.)  Gently debur inside and outside of case mouths.  Aids smoother flat based bullet insertion.

5.)  Weigh each cleaned, trimmed, and unprimed case.  Arrange to load cases of equal (or nearly equal) weight without regard to Mfg.

Cases that are (or nearly are) equal in weight provide the same (or nearly the same) internal case volume, which is a consistency parameter toward greater accuracy that is simple and easy to achieve.

6.)  Use a steady rest.

7.)  Aim small.  Miss small.

8.)  Shoot a lot.

9.)  Have a BLAST!!!!!

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • N. E. Indiana
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2012, 08:51:03 AM »
Thanks for the replies. I may get some lighter bullets to start with. Wanted to see what ya'll had to say. Plan was FL resizing, trimming, weighing and seeing how many passed.
Loading X amount of the three brands exactly the same. Then seeing if there was much difference when shooting. Not sure if there is much reason to go to this much trouble for the 30-30. May just load the new Win brass I have and sell the once fired. Can't hunt much around here with 30-30. Bought new dies in 30-30, 308, and 444 and let Lee FCD's ride along on the shipping. Don't know if I'll ever use them as all will be fired in Handis to start with ;D   Lot of different opinions on the FCDs. Never crimped in Bolts.
 I WILL go through this process with the 308 and 243 though ::)  Thanks!

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2012, 09:44:09 AM »
 Started to worry when you said 150 grain bullets in the 30-30! Had visions of a chain reaction in the tube! But since you are using a single shot recoil will NOT cause a detonation of the next round. When I shot sillohouettes I found certain brands lasted for more reloads than others. Accuracy can also be affected ,ESPECIALLY if you mix case weights. I found the 30-30 to be quite accurate with loads it liked.Even a friends bolt action was capable of sub MOA accuracy with correct loads. Back then I used Winchester brass and oriented the case thru out loading and shooting. I'd put the "I" in WIN at the 12 oclock position. A little note to self as in "I WIN". The Handi may not be the most rigid action for accuracy but it will still take deer to a couple hundred yards IF you are capable.!

Offline spinafish

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2012, 10:58:41 AM »
there are 150 roundnose bullets made for the 30-30..If the accuracy wasn't what you expected I would use the FCD on a small batch on your rifle's best load and see if it helps..it has for me in the past..
the most heartwreching words any man will ever hear
"depart from me, I never knew you"  Jesus
We may ignore, but we can nowhere evade the presence of God. The world is crowded with Him. He walks everywhere incognito.” C.S. Lewis

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2012, 04:48:03 AM »
My preferance in brass is also Federal. But in the 30/30 I am none too perticular. I ah e not seen a difference with mentioning.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • N. E. Indiana
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2012, 04:05:11 PM »
Should have said the 150's are Sierra 30-30 Flat Nose Pro-Hunter, Power Jacket.

I don't have any Feds but plenty of the others to try. Have another couple of projects going right now. Just thinking ahead a little. Almost just used factory as they are not expensive and plentiful. Thanks