Author Topic: 1890 gallery gun  (Read 616 times)

Offline yukondog

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (43)
1890 gallery gun
« on: February 09, 2012, 01:04:15 PM »
I have a old 1890 22 short only, my question is I cant find any info on a barrel that is round but at the muzzle it tappers down for about 4". The best I can tell from going to winchester date of manufacture its dated at 1908. Any ideas? If I can find more info on it I may try to sell it.
an unloaded wepon is equal to the same mass and volume as a rock.

Offline smokehouserex

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: 1890 gallery gun
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 01:17:35 PM »

I don't rembember the site but you can find it on the web. I have one in 22wrf and I got some info on line. Just put in the gun+1890winchester IIRC.
  HM

Offline hillbill

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 01:52:39 PM »
do you have any pics? my dad has a 22wrf but it has octagon barrel. never seen the one that tapers like you say.very interesting.

Offline yukondog

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (43)
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 04:21:06 AM »
Broke cammera waiting on a new one, I'll post pic. as soon as I get another one. I'v found info on the oct. and round barrels but nothing on any tappered from the muzzel than back up at reciver.
an unloaded wepon is equal to the same mass and volume as a rock.

Offline gunnut69

• Moderators
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 07:43:58 PM »
At the eearly part of the 20th century Winchester would build nearly anything you wished.. I love the story of T.Roosevelt when in the WhiteHouse getting a complaint from local church goers about his boys shooting (squirrel hunting) in the nearby woods. They didn't think hunting a Sunday activity. He assured them the bothersome noise would be elimnated..He promptly had Winchester install silencers on the boys squirrel guns. A sensible man indeed! If the rifle is indeed a 'Gallery gun' then perhaps some carny had the devices installed to lower the damage to his hearing? Or perhaps it was some butchery commited at a later date?
gunnut69--
The 2nd amendment to the constitution of the United States of America-
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."