Author Topic: 243...difference  (Read 449 times)

Offline coon007

• Trade Count: (0)
243...difference
« on: February 14, 2012, 04:32:52 PM »
how much difference in the performance of this [ H&R 243 bull barrel 24 inch] compared to the regular H&R 243 with the 22 inch tapered barrel---i have both and going to sell one of them--i cant really tell much difference-----new guy asking --thanks

Offline spacer

Re: 243...difference
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 04:37:55 PM »
They may perform nearly the same. 2" at that point won't mean much in the velocity department, and it should depend on how you plan to carry/use the rifle.
If you're after shooting from a bench quite a bit, maybe a bit of long range varminting... and/or shooting at a relatively high rate, the thicker barrel will absorb more heat, and remain stiffer.
The tapered barrel is just fine, though, and will be lighter for field carry.

Offline r29l20

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (26)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 05:07:08 PM »
They may perform nearly the same. 2" at that point won't mean much in the velocity department, and it should depend on how you plan to carry/use the rifle.
If you're after shooting from a bench quite a bit, maybe a bit of long range varminting... and/or shooting at a relatively high rate, the thicker barrel will absorb more heat, and remain stiffer.
The tapered barrel is just fine, though, and will be lighter for field carry.

+1

Offline coon007

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 05:19:48 PM »
used for deer only,not over 150 yds-----100 grain ammo is what i plan on using....factory ammo

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 05:34:57 PM »
I also have both, for what you use it for, I would keep the lighter barrel.
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline smokehouserex

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 05:59:21 PM »

I have a youth Handi 243, 20" bl. syn stock ect.  I had a compact var. scope on it. It shot patterns with 80 gr feds.  I took the scope off and shot 3" @ 100yds.
  It feels so good, lite, easy to swing and carry, I think I'll leave the scope off at least for now. 
  The older I get the more I like those litewt. guns.   Like Alabama's song    "feels------ so----- right"
  HM