Author Topic: Accessory Rifle Barrels on 2000 or NEWER SB2 frames..... Why??  (Read 494 times)

Offline LedLobber

• Maker of Smokeless Smoke.
  • Trade Count: (9)
Accessory Rifle Barrels on 2000 or NEWER SB2 frames..... Why??
« on: February 15, 2012, 07:35:26 PM »

My Dad called the other day and asked me if I was ever going to get the rifle out of his safe that has been in there for like 10 years. I asked what he was talking about. I forgot that at some point, between having kids, getting married, buying houses, and doing all that other "Grown Up" stuff, I had stored the 1st Handi Rifle I had ever bought in his safe. My .223 Handi is still there waiting for me!!! :o

Thought it would be PERFECT to send in and have a New Barrel put on it, BUT, I got on the H&R website and saw this :

"Rifle frames (SB-2) newer than 2000 may be fitted with additional rifle, shotgun, and muzzleloader barrels, if frame passes inspection."

Anyone know why that is? It would be AWESOME to have that extra SB2 frame from the .223 to put a new barrel on, but I can't. I must have bought that .223 Handi back around 1994 ish. Did they change the frame in 2000? Thanks all. :)
I like BIG Boolits.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: Accessory Rifle Barrels on 2000 or NEWER SB2 frames..... Why??
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 11:29:16 PM »
For a couple years the "farmed out" the manufacturer of their frames and before that they where "old H&R". The farmed out frames are said to be better quality in reality but the company deems them "unknown quality" and for liability purposes will not fit barrels..

IIRC its in the FAQ's

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 05:10:17 AM »
Thought it would be PERFECT to send in and have a New Barrel put on it, BUT, I got on the H&R website and saw this :

"Rifle frames (SB-2) newer than 2000 may be fitted with additional rifle, shotgun, and muzzleloader barrels, if frame passes inspection."

Anyone know why that is? It would be AWESOME to have that extra SB2 frame from the .223 to put a new barrel on, but I can't. I must have bought that .223 Handi back around 1994 ish. Did they change the frame in 2000? Thanks all. :)
The reason is as cw said, but, that doesn't mean that you can't add a rifle barrel to that SB2 frame.  Buy a barrel of your choice off the GBO classifieds, and fit is yourself.  FWIW, most barrels fit onto frames without a hitch.  I've only had to "fuss around" with one barrel which didn't lock up properly. I quickly solved the problem by using that barrel on a different frame.  8)
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 05:45:31 AM »
The outsourced frames were made '96-'99, 2000 is also when Marlin acquired H&R1871.

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,229838.msg1099278933.html#msg1099278933
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • N. E. Indiana
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 05:49:12 AM »
Barrels Tim?   ;)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 05:52:26 AM »
Umm...er.....frames!!!  ??? :-[ ;D

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline LedLobber

• Maker of Smokeless Smoke.
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 07:51:04 AM »
Lol. Thanks for the info guys. I skimmed the Faq while I was tired and missed it. :) Appreciate the Info!
I like BIG Boolits.