Author Topic: Cylinder bore patterns?  (Read 1413 times)

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
Cylinder bore patterns?
« on: February 05, 2012, 03:01:07 AM »
After seeing all these shorty projects I would be interested.  However I don't want to spend more on a choke then the gun so my question is how much range will one get with a cylinder bore barrel.  Back when Louisiana had a few rabbits to hunt (coyotes got most of them) I don't remember a single shot over about 15 yards.  So if I could get a decent shot count in a 9 inch paper plate at 15 to 20 yards with a cylinder bore I would like to know.  You guys that hunt with shorties, what kind of range do you get out of them?

Offline JoseBob

• Trade Count: (16)
Re: Cylinder bore patterns?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 10:40:54 AM »
You should be fine at 20 yards with a shorty cylinder bore.  I have killed 2 squirells at about 35 yards with High brass 6's in my 20 ga shorty. ( 2 different shots. lol) Only 3 pellets hit one and 5 hit the other.  I would recommend that you try to keep it about 25 yards for an effective killing pattern.

Draw a fine bead on em Son!  Bobby.
Draw a fine bead on em Son!

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 12:04:33 PM »
Thanks for the info Jose.  I don't think I would try a 35 yard shot without a choke though but like you said if you can do it at 35 I should be OK out to 15 or maybe even 20.  I do believe todays shotshell with the shot cups pattern much tighter then the old days when the load of shot had to slide down the barrel rubbing the side the whole way.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 01:30:11 PM »
You will do fine, especially if the loads have the shotcup. 'New' generation loads pattern tighter than many of the the old loads, according to some 'authorities' Ive read. I know my 12 ga. Buck barrel (cyl bore) throws a pretty tight pattern of #6s out to 30ish.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline STUMPJMPR

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 12:32:03 AM »
With my shorty I killed a dove at 50 with 7 1/2s.  I killed a hog at 30 with buck shot.  He was hit with a few pellets in the head and neck.  If you shoot federal flight control buckshot you will have about a 15" pattern at 40.

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 10:36:45 AM »
I'll have to be looking for this Federal flight control buckshot.  15 inches at 40 ain't bad.

That 50 yd shot, was that a 12 or a 20 Ga Stump?

Offline STUMPJMPR

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 11:16:36 AM »
I was shooting a 12ga with 7 1/2's.  Only had a couple of pellets hit him.  Regular winchester buck shot would not even hit the board at this range.  The federal flight control buckshot only has 12 pellets in it.  That is T-11 siding I think the grooves are about 4" apart.