Author Topic: Lyle or lyle type cannons.  (Read 550 times)

Offline Frank46

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Lyle or lyle type cannons.
« on: February 18, 2012, 06:05:34 PM »
Back when I worked for a living my company sent me to Kings Point Merchant Marine Academy to attend some classes. In one of the classrooms there was an origional Lyle lifesaving cannon. I realize that the gizmo that held the line was all that was ever fired from these cannons. I often wonder if these cannons could be safely fired with heavier charges and a zinc ball. Anyone have any info on doing just that?. Frank
P.S. they also had a nice 5" deck gun there and close up it was really huge. Sure would not fit into the trunk of my car so as far as I know its still there.

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Lyle or lyle type cannons.
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 06:33:46 PM »
Frank46,

That "gizmo" that held the line was actually 17lbs. So, a Lyle would have no problem firing a zinc ball that weighs 3-4lbs. Most people use Coors light beer cans filled with concrete as projectiles. These are a bit cheaper then the zinc balls.  ;)

If you make it idiot proof, then, someone will make a better idiot.

Offline rmagill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 06:11:36 AM »
Coors cans filled with mortar is my regular projectile with mine. For more distance I use a 3lb lead ball. Intoodeep are those Lyle bolts in the pictures yours ?
Bob

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 07:08:38 AM »
rmagill,

No, those are not mine. I could not find the photos of mine so, I used some archived photos I have. I do have three of them laying around here somewhere. Unfortunately, they are not the Bronze C style....  :(
If you make it idiot proof, then, someone will make a better idiot.

Offline Frank46

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 05:31:29 PM »
Thank you all for the info regarding the shooting round balls from the lyle cannon. Had no idea that these cannons could fire round balls. Never saw the projectle that these were intended to actually fire. Thanks again, Frank