Author Topic: Finally chose a design and builder for my first cannon!  (Read 600 times)

Offline cdn_army

• Trade Count: (0)
Finally chose a design and builder for my first cannon!
« on: August 02, 2012, 05:54:01 PM »
Well after alot of reading and research, I have finally decided to get a barrel from Trail Rock Ordnance! At first I was going to go the Mtn Howitzer route, and after talking with Steve about what I am looking for, he told me he had a set of drawing of the ''pack parrott'' Since im not looking for 100% historical accuracy that was the perfect tube for me! Historical pattern, but never fielded, and something a bit different than what most people shoot. So ETA is about 7 ish weeks, and then its going to be a matter of building some kind of carriage. I am by no mean a woodworker so I will try to make something simple to be able to shoot it. I wish to thank you everyone here for your help in answering my various questions throughout the research process. Of course I will take a few pics when I receive the tube!

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
Re: Finally chose a design and builder for my first cannon!
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 06:50:13 PM »
Sounds good, cdn_army. Artilleryman recently posted a pic of a pack Parrott at Grayling. Good luck with your project.

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Frank46

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 04:16:31 PM »
This may sound kind of far out. But was the parrot rifle ever fielded on anything but a field carriage? Maybe naval usage?. Thanks.Frank

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 05:04:17 PM »
Frank,
The Federal Navy used Parrotts from the 20-pounder to the 200-pounder (150 pound shell).
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Cannon Cocker

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 05:19:13 PM »
Steve Cameron is a great guy to have make your gun.  I shot with him at Grayling last weekend, and there was another ordnance rifle made by him next to us.  His Parrot and the ordnance rifle looked great.  Also, last years winner of the 600 yard mountain rifle competition was won by a guy named Dave who shoots the pack parrot in the picture posted.  He beat out several breech loaders that usually take it.  Very accurate gun. 

Offline guardsgunner

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 06:38:12 AM »
 Cannon Cocker,
   I nelieve the last Artilleryman mag. had Steve selling a Blakley #10 rifle. That would be historicaly correct and the same class gun.
   Norm won the breechloading class ( as well as this year) The Muzzleloaders have thier own class and do not compete with the breechloaders. (think this was the third year.)