Author Topic: Bullet storage  (Read 638 times)

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
Bullet storage
« on: February 25, 2012, 04:22:23 AM »
 How do you folks store bullets? I have been keeping in the boxes they come in. But I have been buying some that do not come in a box. Not to mention the ones that are boxes are different shapes and sizes. Because of that it's akward to stack some.  How do you do it?

Thanks
Lonny

Offline Westwindmike

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Bullet storage
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 04:37:39 AM »
After mine are lubed, I use clear plastic peanut butter jars. You can see through them and I usually put a piece of paper with the boolit info on it, so I can see it in the jar. Works good for me. I eat a lot of PBJ's!

Offline smokehouserex

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 04:48:29 AM »

I store mine mostly in metal ammo cans and write the contents on the lids on a piece of tape.

Westwindmike:

Try this with PBJ's   3 pieces of loaf bread, jelly on one, PB on another, and the 3rd piece of bread between them, it keeps you from needing the 2nd sandwitch to satisfy the craving.  LOL  and to me it tastes better.
  HM

Online Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 05:11:26 AM »
I use a plethora of storage canisters depending on the quantity of bullets including large mouth glass jars, plastic peanut butter "jars", tuppperware, coffee cans, cake tins, coffee tins, and sometimes even the original containers.  To me, it is a matter of convenience.  If they won't stack on the shelf, say too much combined weight, I put them on the floor in steel ammo cans and mark the outsides trying to keep a single caliber per can.

Offline CherokeeT

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 05:38:44 AM »
For bullets from the manufacturer, I store them in the factory boxes.  For my cast bullets, I store them in 4x4 & 4x6" cardboard boxes properly labled.
God Bless America
NRA Life, TSRA, SASS

Offline Rodland

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 07:18:20 AM »
Factory loads stay in factory box. My empties, clean brass, and primed cases, in 4x6 tupperware like boxes from the dollar store. Finished loads go in proper size plastic shell boxes, (MTM is brand). They are easy to count in these boxes.
My remember'er is broke, but my forgetter is getting better.

Offline buck460XVR

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 08:03:59 AM »
My bulk bullets and bulk brass go into clear plastic storage boxes of various sizes I get a Wal-Mart for about $1.50 apiece. They're  designed to stack securely even when different sizes are stacked together and have a secure latch on them so they don't spill. Unlike jars, they are easy to reach to the bottom to get that last piece of brass out when reloading sitting down.
"where'd you get the gun....son?"

Offline swifty22

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 11:46:29 AM »
Jacked I keep in the factory boxes, loose jacked in freezer qt. size ziplocks use sharpie to label, cast (both as cast and lubed/sized) in the same zippy's and then in the freezer to keep the BHN stable.-Muddy

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 12:38:35 PM »
Lonny,
 I thought you where asking about loaded bullet storage... ??? Reading the responces I am not so sure... ;)

Here is what I do with Loaded bullets, Cast bullets (projectiles) and empty brass... ::)

For my loaded ammo, I prefer the plastic boxes. Either the 20 round slip top jobbers or the 50 round cartons. My loading lables fit on/in them nicely and they can be used over and over again.

For my freshly case and lubed bullets, a simple metal coffee can for freshly cast and I dont keep a large quantity of lubed bullets so I use the factory boxes jacketed bullet came in.

Lastly my brass, I like the Quart Freezer zip lock bags for small quantities. For up to a couple hundred pieces I use some plastic boxes that came with baby wipes. They look like big leggos and are about half the volume of a shoe box. They also stack nicely. Lastly for large quantities, I like the clear plastic "pretzel barrels".

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2012, 01:06:35 PM »
 Thanks for all the replys. I really appreciate the help.
 Guess I should have looked a little harder at walmart(was there today)
 And I guess I need more shelf space. I just dont have enough room :o . So I will encrease my shelving, then with your all suggestions I will attempt to organize ;)

CW Thanks for the pics. I was trying to figure out storage for bulk bullets not loaded ammo. But I like the way you have your brass sorted to barrels. Guess the grandbabies need to start eating some pretzels ;D   Oh and the wipe containers is a great idea. With 2 2year olds and a 1 year old, we go through a bunch of wipes ;D

Do have some small and large plastic coffee containers in use. But like the wipes, the babies eat a bunch of peanut butter, guess papaw will start helping them. Never thought about them containers. good ideas

Thanks for the help.
Lonny

Offline huntducks

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2012, 02:51:07 PM »
Here is a easy way to store bulk bullets with zero cost providing you have a local trap & Skeet range use empty shotshell box's 410 & 28ga box's work great, I also use them to store cast bullets 20ga work best for that.
Remember it's where the first bullet goes out of a cold barrel that counts most.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2012, 01:27:38 AM »
for jacketed that come in a bag i just save all the old jackted bullet boxes and reuse them. For cast about anything i can find. Ive got quite a few people that save me coffee cans and i use them the most. Probably followed by glad containers.
blue lives matter