Author Topic: selling reloads????  (Read 1019 times)

Offline sk330lc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (55)
selling reloads????
« on: February 28, 2012, 12:30:43 PM »
Is it legal to sell reloaded ammo if you're not a licenced manufacture? 
I have noticed posts on this sight and others, for people wanting to sell their reloads and other components. I'm guess they have sold the pistol/Rifle the ammo and components were for.
Just a question that popped in my head.  Seems to me the liability would be a big problem.
Be True to What You Hunt!!!!!
SUPPORT THE GBO SERVER
http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.0/topicseen.html

Offline buck460XVR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: selling reloads????
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 12:39:33 PM »
No problem selling components and a few odd and ends of loaded cartridges at a garage sale or to a friend to get of them. It's once you get into it for profit that you are asking for trouble without the correct licenses and permits.
"where'd you get the gun....son?"

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 12:40:42 PM »
The ATF has changed the wording in the regs recently, if you're not in business to make a profit selling handloads, a license isn't required.

Tim

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/manufacturers.html#ammo-reloading

Q: Is a person who reloads ammunition required to be licensed as a manufacturer?

Yes, if the person engages in the business of selling or distributing reloads for the purpose of livelihood and profit. No, if the person reloads only for personal use.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a) (i) and 923(a), 27 CFR 478.41]
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline anachronism

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 03:29:13 PM »
Even a dollar could be considered a profit by BATF. Pay particular attention to the phrase "personal use". That means your personal use, not your buddies.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 03:50:04 PM »
There is a huge liability issue IMO.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline dstegjas

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 03:56:59 PM »
I have had several people ask me to reload for them over the years. I have always refused to sell for profit or even reload at cost for them. In my mind all it would take is for something to go wrong and I could lose everything. Even if it wasn't my reloads that caused a problem, the law suit could bankrupt you. For me, it's just not worth it.

Jim
Ohhh, so many guns and so little time to buy them.  :)

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 04:01:58 PM »
I invite people over, explain the process, and oversee their loading.  At least that's been the offer.  So far no one has taken me up on it, except a few very close friends.  I will not reload for anyone unless their hands are on it as well.  A close call 30 years ago broke my family from that when a stupid kid filed out the cyl.s on his 44 Bulldog and loaded Pop's 44 mags in it.

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline Couger

• Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 06:15:50 PM »
Quote from: mechanic
..... A close call 30 years ago broke my family from that when a stupid kid filed out the cyl.s on his 44 Bulldog and loaded Pop's 44 mags in it.
How did he manage that without really bugering the gun?  Sounds like you caught it Mechanic before it got really exciting.  :o    ;D

Plus I agree that unless the good friend or family member is right there helping, loading for others is trouble.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 01:00:35 AM »
Quote from: mechanic
..... A close call 30 years ago broke my family from that when a stupid kid filed out the cyl.s on his 44 Bulldog and loaded Pop's 44 mags in it.
How did he manage that without really bugering the gun?  Sounds like you caught it Mechanic before it got really exciting.  :o    ;D

Plus I agree that unless the good friend or family member is right there helping, loading for others is trouble.

He blew the cylinder, broke the topstrap, but luckily was not hurt.  He wanted my Pop to replace the gun......bad situation could have been really bad.  You just don't know how dumb some people are.

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 03:39:39 AM »
There is just too many variables for me to be comforatable with this to include the likes of a barrel obstruction of mud or snow. I might be proven innocent but it would be a lot of hassle for sure.

I did reload three diff calibers for a co-worker once and at cost. "Doug" was mad at me when he tried the last caliber as those .38 Special casings stuck tight in the cylinder of his cheap Italian made revolver. I met him at the range and it turned out that his Cylinders were so badly pitted that the brass flowed into them holding them tight. I said Doug, lets bury that gun right here and right now before it gets someone hurt  ;D

stupid kid filed out the cyl.s on his 44 Bulldog and loaded Pop's 44 mags in it.

There are stupid adults also. Maybe not stupid but just good ole boy's who dont pay attention. Case point being an aquaintance of a friend who was madder than he$$ with his new to him revolver because it split out every case of a part box of .44 mag that he fired through his .45 Colt.

Again, it is just not worth the liability of reloading for others.

Offline GH1

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2012, 09:37:53 AM »
I load for a two coworkers and my son-in-law. They supply the materials and I assemble them.
GH1 :)
I owe my life to an organ donor

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2012, 02:28:16 PM »
Even a dollar could be considered a profit by BATF. Pay particular attention to the phrase "personal use". That means your personal use, not your buddies.

You are exactly right, and the way it's worded, even one cent could be considered profit by them...  Also if ANYTHING happens, YOU will be completely liable and the personal injury suit that WILL come, will be a slam dunk for the person sueing you!

You are liable even if you GIVE them away, or even let someone fire your gun or ther gun with YOUR reloads in it.

It's a HUGE risk, that i will NOT take...

DM

Offline SteveHawaii

• Avid Poster
  • Having fun at the Koko Head Shooting Complex
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2012, 03:25:00 PM »
I made some Winchester .351 ammunition for a friend recently.  The .351 is extremely difficult to find, and when you do find it, it goes for almost $2 a round.  So I started reloading for him, using .357 Maximum cases that I had to modify extensively.  It never even crossed my mind that there might be a liability issue.  I'll need to re-think that.
We rarely think people have good sense unless they agree with us.
- Francois de La Rochefoucauld

Offline DANNY-L

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (63)
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2012, 01:29:01 AM »
I seems that if you didn't charge anything for your time and ended up with a few dollars more than the cost of components there was really no profit made. For the liabilty wouldn't that be about the same as like selling a used car and something was to happen.

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2012, 04:28:01 AM »
I seems that if you didn't charge anything for your time and ended up with a few dollars more than the cost of components there was really no profit made. For the liabilty wouldn't that be about the same as like selling a used car and something was to happen.

No, it would be like you fixing your neighbors brakes, then they crash.  Now, they sue you, and you have to prove YOUR fix didn't cause the accident!

DM

Offline dstegjas

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2012, 05:38:55 AM »

No, it would be like you fixing your neighbors brakes, then they crash.  Now, they sue you, and you have to prove YOUR fix didn't cause the accident!

DM

In addition to what DM said, which I agree with. Even if you were able to prove that you were not at fault. The cost of being sued could devastate you and your family financially.

Jim
Ohhh, so many guns and so little time to buy them.  :)

Offline DANNY-L

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (63)
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2012, 05:40:56 AM »
Very true in todays world.

Offline huntducks

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2012, 09:44:04 AM »
I have never turned down any reloaded ammo even shotshell many times you can get it for free or next to nothing at yard sales, wife that husband died or included in a buy out of reloading tools.

That said I never fire it just pull it a part for the bullets cases and primers and if it's an easy ID powder like 700x BD or RD I keep it the rest goes on the lawn.

Last summer I bought a wife out that husband died he had 1000 rds of 222 loaded W/Sierra 52gr match bullets I paid $40 for the ammo and that also included 250rds of 270 with 130gr Nosler part.

I will not load for friends close family only like my son.
Remember it's where the first bullet goes out of a cold barrel that counts most.

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2012, 05:03:54 PM »
 I had a friend that loaded ammo for a local police dept. He got sued by a fellow cop for a case of lead poisining he claimed he got from handling the ammo. This guys WIFE joined in the suit because the lead poisin caused Erectile Dysfunction and they could not have sex any more! It was later proven to be a Diabetic condition, but it still cost my friend a bunch in legal fees