Author Topic: Just shot my BC  (Read 316 times)

Offline zombiehunter83

• Trade Count: (0)
Just shot my BC
« on: February 22, 2012, 08:56:53 AM »
Howdy first post here.
I bought a BC 32" 45-70 a couple of months ago (also have a .500 S&W handi and a 12ga pardner) and finally got out to the range with the BC I am hitting the  target almost dead on at 100yards with rear sight maxed out :(  was able to hit my gong at 300yds 3 out of 3 by holding high, but would like to do longer range shooting like 500+yds  I was thinking about the Williams FP w/ Target Knobs, but was wondering if that is direct fit or would I have to have it drilled and tapped it doesn't say on their sight that I could see.  Or if its better should I mount a tang sight, but  I would need some serious assistance to do that.  Another option maybe the Skinner.  Any help would be really appreciated.  This is a great site! 

ZH

Offline OSOK

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
Re: Just shot my BC
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 09:34:24 AM »
I have the williams sight on my BC, no complaints. It may be the better choice if you are going to be doing a lot of elevation changes. For a hunting gun I think the Skinner would be a much better choice, especially the front sight. The globe front sight is just about impossible to use with low light, and I am seriously eyeing the Skinner as a replacement. Skinner is supposed to be coming out with a ladder sight for the BC, I may wind up with both!
“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” Sigmund Freud

Offline zombiehunter83

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 09:53:39 AM »
Thanks, did you have to drill and tap or does the williams mount right up

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 10:19:38 AM »
See Peep and Firesights and Long Range Sights in the FAQs, the Williams WGRS, FP and FP-TK are bolt ons, mount in the two rear scope mount holes, I have the FP-TK on my 45-120 BC. If you want to get the most range out of a globe front sight, you'll be wise to swap out for a lower sight, the .404" tall 17A Lyman will get you out to about 800yds with the FP-TK rear sight, shooting trapdoor equivilent 405gr loads(1400fps) with the rear sight at the bottom, POI is about 1½ high at 100yds in my 45-120 using the .404" sight, I haven't shot past 200yds, but Bernie has used his with 500gr Lee 500r bullets at 1500fps out to 800 meters.

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline zombiehunter83

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 10:43:48 AM »
Thanks Quick  :D