Author Topic: nosler Zipedo bullets  (Read 1305 times)

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
nosler Zipedo bullets
« on: December 10, 2004, 04:50:22 PM »
I have 5 boxes of these.55 grain /.224 dia. They have little rings machined around the heel of the bullet. Are these strictly varmint bullets or can some what larger animals be fair game for them?The bullet seems to be made of a cup with the lead core inserted and formed later. Kind of remind me of the original John Nosler bullets with the relief turned into the bullet waist.

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
early solid base bullets
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2004, 11:15:43 PM »
I remember those bullets being advertised.  I think they were the begining of what evolved into the Nosler Solid Base line.  Also that may have been where Barnes got their idea for the Triple Shock and I think the current North Fork ??? bullets.  But can't say if they were designed for more than varmints - probably not.  You could load some up and do some performance tests in water filled milk jugs or some other media and see what you think.  I don't think they were on the market very long - makes me wonder about accuracy.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline swifty22

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: nosler Zipedo bullets
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 03:58:47 PM »
Darn Tootin! Used the 75gr. in my old Hva 243 for whiteys, killed like lightning! Always a hole out the other side, Was in high school and used a full case of 50 cents/# surplus 4831 so were probably only about 3000 or so. I wish I had a bunch more!-Muddy

Offline Larry L

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 04:40:53 PM »

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 05:15:27 PM »
  I still have some of them too, but i think mine are in 6mm...  They were considered a varmit bullet.

DM

Offline Bubber

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 05:32:29 PM »
Ive got some of thoes that I inhereted from a reletive. Great little pill, wish I could get my hand on a bunch more.

Offline smokehouserex

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 06:03:01 PM »

Hey swifty22:
  I shot many of them, shot out the bbl. on my little Browning Safari Grade, with the liteweight bbl..  DM is right about them being advertised as varmint but the deer would fall to them as well it would put the smack-down on crows, groundhogs when long shots were the normal day of shooting. Sometimes we would get in the tobaccer barn, and shoot from between the planks, early morning you could see the Gunsmoke drift slowly away after the shot while the light  fog was still in the air.  I shot 4350 with 8 1/2  120 WW primers, in mine mostly but 39 gr 4895 would shoot good also , with 4350, it's more than I can post here, 5/8 inch @ 100yds was the best it ever done, that was outside to outside with no bore deduction, 1" was about the ave. sometimes over, sometimes under. A very good bullet, I still have a couple boxes left, saving them for another accurate 243,  maybe?? LOL
  I think one reason that they never were very popular was because reloaders loaded them just like any other bullet without belling the case mouth and in turn they swaged the bands off and accuracy would suffer. My old reloader friend told me about it and I never had any trouble with them,  I loved them with that solid base and lead tip.

Reflections of an Old Shooter,
  HM

Offline OLDHandgunner

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 02:46:09 AM »
I tried them years ago in my 22-250. Still have a box of them I set aside. I like savings stuff.  ;D