Author Topic: Can scopes wear out?  (Read 601 times)

Offline His lordship.

• Trade Count: (12)
Can scopes wear out?
« on: January 11, 2004, 10:10:37 AM »
My 7 year old Simmons 8-point (now their cheapest model) is acting up.  It has been reliable and with clear optics on several rifles over the years, but yesterday I found that the point of aim would change.  It would function well for awhile, and then the shots would go to the right, or high, yet, all in one group despite using ammo that was of a known point of aim before, even minutes before.  The scope is on my 30-06 CZ Model 550 bolt action rifle, I knew it would be temporary as I did plan to put a good scope on it later when I had more money.  

I may have damaged the Simmons scope as it was on my RWS side pump pellet rifle for a very short time, and these magnum pellet rifles will eat a conventional scope for breakfast. :twisted:   Yet had been alright for function the last 6 months on my 30-06.

One of my shooting partners said that all scopes, even expensive ones will wear out over time.  In the Cabelas catalog under Bushnell, they point out the fact that the "Model 3200 has been tested to 1,000 rounds of .375 H&H", and the more expensive "Model 4200 has been tested to 10,000 rounds of .375 H&H".  The Model 4200 is almost twice the price.  

I had read a good article recently on scopes where the auther stated that most big game hunters don't shoot much each year and a cheaper scope could get them 10 years of service provided it is not defective during the initial site in.  I target shoot my 30-06 with the potential of several hundred rounds a year, so a cheap scope may not be a good idea.  I don't have $1,000.00 for a scope to put on my rifle, and the Bushnells won't fit my CZ as the bolt handle will hit the site intake end of it.  Granted you get better clarity with a top scope, but is it a waste of money due to the fact that it will eventually wear out?

Thanks

Offline acearch72

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Can scopes wear out?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2004, 11:16:18 AM »
my experience is you get what you pay for.

I've done my cheap scope experiment and am replacing with a quality scope for next year.

You should be able to get a good price on a quality scope at a close out sale somewhere.

Offline woodseye

• Avid Poster
Can scopes wear out?
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2004, 12:28:43 AM »
Scopes are a series of lenses glued and held in place with screws as well as an erector that slowly wears to looser tolerances as you change powers in a variable. Reticles, if wire can get loose or even come out after repeated recoil. I find all scopes begin to fail at some point in time depending on use and recoil especially. More expensive scopes do tend to last longer, and like everything in life, you do tend to get what you pay for in most cases. There are exceptions to every rule but I would go with a Leupold - Conquest - or Bushnell 4200 myself and use the right rings to mount the scope with clearance.

woods
PUT GOD FIRST
Shoot Straight - Shoot Often - Shoot Smokeless - Shoot Savage!

Offline ftstinyc

Can scopes wear out?
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2004, 03:04:37 AM »
This is why you will see some places selling rebuilt scopes. I would say
that something was wrong with them if they had to be rebuilt. In some
cases it might not of been from wear but a defect from the manufacture
or damage from the user.
tinyc

Offline Weatherby223

Can scopes wear out?
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2004, 02:25:04 AM »
2 of my Tasco scopes  were worn out when i purchased them brand new! :-D  :)
Mick...
Happy Hunting :D