Author Topic: Vortex Crossfire partial review  (Read 929 times)

Offline revbc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (94)
    • NewLife Worship Center
Vortex Crossfire partial review
« on: December 29, 2011, 12:47:18 AM »
What a pleasant surprise.  Ordered one of the $49 6x40's from Cameraland.  The optics are excellent, 90% light transmission, crystal clear even on the edges.  Don't know yet how it will mount up on a handi rifle, but the ocular doesn't look as large as a bushnell.

Overall a steal at $49 bucks.  6x is great for still hunters, most of the time the deer are just moving a little or standing still.  Back in the day, I used 4x running dogs, so 6x stand/still hunting is not to much.

Bobby

+++ for Cameraland one of our sponsors
Pastor, NewLife Worship Center
(Retired) Automotive Technology Instructor, West Feliciana High School
Avid Shooter, Hunter, Fisherman and owner of Handi Rifles

Offline LedLobber

• Maker of Smokeless Smoke.
  • Trade Count: (9)
Re: Vortex Crossfire partial review
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 08:59:33 PM »
Any more follow up on this scope, revbc? I just put a Vortex 1.5-4x32 on my new .444 Handi Rifle without knowing much about the Vortex brand. Looks Great and mounted up well, but would still like to hear some others thoughts on Vortex scopes! :)
I like BIG Boolits.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 01:18:57 AM »
I just got one of the 3x crossfire crossbow scopes. Ill compare it to the redfield revolutions ive owned. Opticaly its just as good and i think the redfields are good for the money. The ajustments seem a bit cheap but do track well. they just dont have a quality feel to them. The redfiields are even worse and the two i had didnt track well at all. For what cameraland is  selling them for there a bargin and yes id buy one before i bought another redfield.. At cameralands prices there as good as scopes twice as expensive but just dont think your buying a premier scope. I also have one vortex viper scope and its a real dandy. One of these days im going to have to pick up one of the diamondback scopes to see how they bridge that price gap. Bottom line is if they have the optics that even a crossfire does with a bit better mechanicals they would be all the scope most hunters would ever need.
blue lives matter

Offline revbc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (94)
    • NewLife Worship Center
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 11:51:02 AM »
Shot it at the range yesterday.  The center lines of the crosshairs are a little heavy for target shooting, but are great for hunting in low light.  The optics seem great and it tracked very well even though I didn't shoot the box.

Overall I am more than pleased with the Crossfire for a everyday hunting scope out to 200yds.
Pastor, NewLife Worship Center
(Retired) Automotive Technology Instructor, West Feliciana High School
Avid Shooter, Hunter, Fisherman and owner of Handi Rifles

Offline geartow

• Blow a Crow, Drop a Yote!!
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 11:26:35 AM »
I am glad to hear the CrossFires are good I just received 3 from fedex today . a 6x40 is going on my 243 bull barrel Handi , a 2x7-32 will be going on my 7.63x39 Handi , And a 1.4x4-32 not sure if I am putting it on a 357 Handi or a 20G slug Handi.
Blow a Crow, Drop a Yote!!

Offline quatroclick

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 07:17:20 PM »
I have a 6x40 on the way to try out with a 7-08 Handi Rifle I picked up a while ago.  I'm not expecting too much, but good used 6x scopes are getting tough to find for a decent price.

Offline Joe S.

• Trade Count: (30)
  • A Real Regular
  • The poisonous mushroom!
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 05:14:36 PM »
I owned a 6-24x50 a year or so ago. Had it on a 17 hmr. Fine scope for the money.

I just ordered a diamondback 4-12x40 for my rem 700 in 223. I like their features and the warranty is superb.
Joe S.
Central MS

"An armed society is a polite society."

redistribute work ethic!