Author Topic: Does anyone have a source of good, cheap, gas checks?  (Read 1986 times)

Offline Sixgun

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Does anyone have a source of good, cheap, gas checks?
« on: January 09, 2003, 04:09:16 AM »
My box of 44 cal gas checks is down to about 25 pieces again and I went to look for some in the Midway catalog and they are over $20 per 1000.  That is totally unacceptable as far as I am concerned.  Before I pay that much for a little copper cup, I'll buy a sheet of copper and a punch and make my own.  

Anyway, if anyone knows a place to get gas checks for a reasonable price, let me know.  

Also, if anyone has a way to make your own gas checks, I would be interested.  It can't be too difficult.  Maybe I'll invent my own system and market it to all of you guys that love to shoot cast bullets and hate to pay 2 cents for a gas check.

Sixgun
You can only hit the target if the barrel is pointed in the right direction when the bullet leaves the barrel.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Does anyone have a source of good, cheap, g
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2003, 05:35:47 PM »
The cheapest one's I've been getting are when someone sells a whole loading setup.  Past that, you've got the right idea - compare prices.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2003, 07:52:21 PM »
You can buy an outfit to make them from soda pop or beer cans. There is always a ready supply of those things around most places so even if you don't generate them you probably know someone who does. I've not tried it but except for the cost of the equipment it should be some cheap checks if you have the time.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Sixgun

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2003, 03:14:07 AM »
GB
I haden't even thought of making them out of pop or beer cans.  Sounds like it could work.  Do you have any idea of where to come by some of the equipment?

Sixgun
You can only hit the target if the barrel is pointed in the right direction when the bullet leaves the barrel.

Offline Ka6otm

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2003, 04:39:08 AM »
Sixgun,

The only place I am aware of to buy equipment for making gas checks out of aluminum cans is the Hanned Line.

www.hanned.com
$150 to $160 depending on the punch you need...

And they only work on PB cast bullets evidently.

You can buy an awful lot of gas checks for that kind of money.  Might want to try making your own tool.

Ka6otm

Offline Sixgun

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2003, 05:19:36 AM »
I looked at hanned and didn't see anything about a gas check making system.  They may have discontinued it.  

I was in Shapel's Gun Shop yesterday and was looking at the box of old used dies and got some ideas on useing the right size lee sizer punch and either finding an exhisting die body the right size or milling one to work.  I think it would take one set to punch out the right sized disk and another to shape it.  I have a metal lathe available to me so I can change the inside diameter of a die if I need to.  

I am getting tired of having to spend more and more money for my shooting habit.   I don't just shoot cast bullets cause they are cheaper, but I do appreciate the fact that they are.  It bugs me when I can get free lead, and cast a really good bullet with only an investment in time.  Then to add 2cents to each shot takes some of the fun out of shooting my home cast bullets.  I shoot alot so an extra 2 cents a shot adds up kind of fast.   I like to do this kind of stuff in the winter so I may go ahead and build just what I need.

Sixgun

Offline dakotashooter2

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2003, 11:58:11 AM »
The price of gas checks is ridiculous. If the government can stamp out a penny for less than it's face value you should be able to buy a box of gas checks for a couple of bucks.
Just another worthless opinion!!

Offline bfoster

• http://www.cardingtonmachine.com
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2003, 02:21:27 PM »
Sixgun,

Perhaps the main index page at Hanned is confusing. Try this link:

Hanned G.C. dies.

I use scrap brass sheet obtained from the dumpster of a local manufacturing plant (with managment's consent). I made my own dies, but I see no reason why the Hanned dies wouldn't, like mine, work with any material that is suitable for this purpose.

Bob

Offline no3

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2003, 07:10:58 PM »
Hey Fellas
You should complain about the prices of gas-checks,What about me I have to pay $48-Australian :eek:  for 1000 (Hornady),well there ya go,thats the trouble,Australia, Nah its not a bad place just have to get rid of some of the dickheads running it.
I'd like to get them for $22 (Wishful Thinking) :(

See ya
no3

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2003, 08:32:52 PM »
no3 What is the exchange rate? How many Austrialian $ does it take to make a US $?

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Ka6otm

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2003, 04:32:59 AM »
Graybeard,

The current rate is $1.718 Australian equals $1.00 U.S.

Try http://www.x-rates.com/calculator.html

Take care,
Ka6otm

Offline Flash

• Trade Count: (82)
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2003, 11:54:27 AM »
Soft gas checks made of wax to prevent gas cutting could be made from thin sheets which were available back in the 80's. I don't know what this did to the powder in the summer time but it couldn't be good. Also, another form of gas check was to place a zinc washer inside your mold before casting and make both bullet and gas check as one. This was called the Wilke Gas Check from years back too. The washers were availabe by the thousands in all calibers and they were seated in the bottom driving band of your mold. Tweasers were needed to position the check in the mold and it was more trouble than it was worth.......at least to me. The cups of today are much better.
What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger!

Offline Sixgun

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2003, 04:39:58 AM »
As a matter of fact, I have been doing some testing with Lee Sizers.  If I punch out a piece of pop can with my 430 sizer, I can get a perfect 30 cal gas check.  The hard part is getting the punched out piece centered in the 30 cal sizer when I use it to form the cup.  The sizer body is funnel shaped but if Lee could make the same thing with a place milled out to center the disk, it would be an easy chore.

The other problem useing lee sizers is that you need a bigger punch to make checks for 44s and 45s.  If Lee could do something like that it would be great!
Sixgun

Offline Leftoverdj

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2003, 05:36:07 AM »
Quote from: Sixgun
As a matter of fact, I have been doing some testing with Lee Sizers.  If I punch out a piece of pop can with my 430 sizer, I can get a perfect 30 cal gas check.  The hard part is getting the punched out piece centered in the 30 cal sizer when I use it to form the cup.  The sizer body is funnel shaped but if Lee could make the same thing with a place milled out to center the disk, it would be an easy chore.

Sixgun

That's rather neat. I have .314 sizer around  for .32 pistol. A light lathe cut ought to take care of the centering problem and the GC would be an easy fit before getting crimped on in bullet sizing. Unfortunately, I already have more .30 GCs than I am likely to use.

So many projects, so little time.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.