Author Topic: Electronic Primers?  (Read 554 times)

Offline frogtog

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Electronic Primers?
« on: March 03, 2012, 07:54:00 AM »
Nascar has electronic fuel injection,what happened to the electronic primers? B 4 its time, problems? Inquieing minds :-\
NEF45/70,445 Super Mag,17 fireball,17hm2 sporster/Tc 7mm TCU,222,22mag,45/70 16"

Offline mdi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Re: Electronic Primers?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 08:23:20 AM »
My first thought would be cost, and then you'd have to design a gun to shoot them. If I remember correctly, a few years ago someone designed a rifle that shot caseless ammo ignited electricly...

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 10:25:08 AM »
CVA® Electra™ .50 Caliber 209 Muzzleloaders with Electronic ARC™ Ignition  CVA Electra™ rifles are like no other muzzleloaders on earth, featuring the patented Electronic ARC™ Ignition (U.S. Patent No. 7,197,843). The ARC electronic ignition is completely sealed from the elements -- there's not even a flash-hole. No parts other than the barrel and breech plug have to be cleaned of fouling -- ever! Ignition is absolutely instantaneous. The trigger pull is incredibly clean, because the ''trigger'' is really an electronic switch. And since there is no pressure explosion, as there is with primer ignitions, there is no accuracy-robbing displacement of the charge -- allowing full and consistent burn of the powder charge at the bottom of the barrel. One 9-volt battery will reliably fire the rifle at least 500 times http://reviews.basspro.com/2010/94731/cva-electra-50-caliber-209-muzzleloaders-with-electronic-arc-ignition-reviews/reviews.htm   Lonny

Offline Luckyducker

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 10:36:05 AM »
Several years ago Remington was marketing a rifle that used a battery powered ignition system that fired with electronic primers but I haven't seen anything about them for quite a while.  I think they were called Etronx or some such name as that.  They just didn't go over with the consumer public.  I never took them seriously, and apperantly I wasn't the only one.  I stopped mid-post and did a search for these Rems and there seems to be a lot of info on the net about them, I am just not interested enough to read about them again.  If I remember correctly the 22/250 Etronx was the only caliber Remington was loading factory ammo for but.....

Offline frogtog

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 01:25:14 PM »
Thats correct on the Remington . I guess if Big Green couldnt get it to fly,?
NEF45/70,445 Super Mag,17 fireball,17hm2 sporster/Tc 7mm TCU,222,22mag,45/70 16"

Offline wncchester

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 02:32:32 AM »
".... I guess if Big Green couldnt get it to fly,?"

Manufactors can produce tons of anything they wish but if the market doesn't want it, it won't "fly."  (Obamma should think about that.)
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 09:51:06 AM »
Probably could make it fly do the fact that about every serious varmit shooter is a reloader and shoots ALOT. Most probably saw what the additional expense of the primers was and the fact they were about non existant to buy and figured theyd stick with the tried and true.
blue lives matter