Author Topic: Pierced primer on 12ga Pardner.  (Read 528 times)

Offline STUMPJMPR

• Trade Count: (4)
Pierced primer on 12ga Pardner.
« on: February 04, 2012, 07:44:52 AM »
What would cause this?  I've never had this trouble before.  I was shooting Remington Heavy Dove loads.

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
Re: Pierced primer on 12ga Pardner.
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 04:39:19 AM »
stump,

Just before the end of the year I bought a bunch of remington 20 ga sluggers and was shooting them out of my tracker II and I had several pierced primers.  I know these were new stock ammo because the place I bought them just opened last August, after a fire burnt their old store to the ground.   I had no pierced primers with any other factory ammo or my handloads with this shotgun.   Maybe Remington has a primer issue?

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 05:19:50 AM »
I'd follow Remington's advice for ammo problems. I'd make sure the firing pin is in good condition, it should be smooth and rounded, if it's broken or appears sharp, it could be the problem, you can get a good look at the tip by opening the action and cocking and holding the hammer, pull the trigger all the way to the rear and hold it there while lowering the hammer, this will keep the transfer bar up and make the firing pin protrude from the standing breech face.

Tim

http://remington.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/104/kw/defective%20ammunition/session/L3RpbWUvMTMyODQ1ODQzNy9zaWQvV0I0T0hYUGs%3D

What should I do with misfired ammunition?

Updated 03/19/2010 04:44 PM

When there is a concern regarding our ammunition, we request that you please call us at 1-800-243-9700 with you Name, Address, type of ammunition, type of failure, and the firearms used.

Once we receive this information, we will forward it to our ammunition plant so that we can send you a prepaid shipping label, and all appropriate packaging materials to send the ammunition back for testing.

We will contact you once our evaluation and testing have been completed to determine the best course of action in order to resolve this issue for you.
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline hunterwinco

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 03:19:55 PM »
STUMPJMPR
same issue here.  I bought a 12 gauge pardner a couple months back and grabbed some of that Rem heavy dove and fired a few rounds off.  I noticed the primers were pierced...not that I could see easily, but there was a little soot and when I scratched it with the tip of my jacknife I could feel a little perforation.  Should I not fire it?

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 09:33:34 AM »
Ive had some ammo pierce, but it was some older odd lot, left overs, so I switched to another lot/brand and no issues. I cut the others up to salvage the shot and cups.
I would check the pin, but if all looks OK, shoot something else to see. Pierced primers on a couple to several brands and you have a gun problem, only one brand its likely an ammo problem.
If it is an ammo problem, and recent stuff, pursue it. You may end up with a voucher, or something, well worth your trouble.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974