Author Topic: Facing up to reality  (Read 1449 times)

Offline Empty Quiver

• Trade Count: (0)
Facing up to reality
« on: November 26, 2011, 06:41:10 AM »
This last weekend I stripped all the hunting rifles down. Spent hours cleaning the copper out of the bores, opened up the bolts, cleaned the trigger groups, pretty much a detail strip. After a good preservative wipe down and reassembly they now are sitting for the winter, useless. :(

That's right my hunting season is pretty much over. Unlikely I'll be able to get out for M-L season. I'll be lucky to sneak in any ice fishing this winter. Range time? Wading through hip deep drifts and 15 degree 15mph winds? I don't think so.

A couple months of hunting season is not enough.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: Facing up to reality
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 09:04:17 AM »
OUCH... Harsh reality....

Time to look into traveling to hunt!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Silvertp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 09:17:14 AM »
Sounds to me like you need to put a higher priority on Muzzle Loader season. Can be very quality time out-doors.  Nothing wrong with a little predator hunting as well for some fresh air and hunting challenge. 

Silvertp

Offline dukkillr

• The Daily Limit
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 09:23:39 AM »
Come to the midwest.  Western game and dove start Sept 1st and I'll still be chasing Canadas in Mid February.  After 6 weeks off it's time for turkey April 1st-May 31st.  Fishing and bowfishing June and scouting, hanging, and planting in July and August.  Not much down time.

We've been crushing the ducks the last few days.

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 09:59:51 AM »
Come to the midwest.  Western game and dove start Sept 1st and I'll still be chasing Canadas in Mid February.  After 6 weeks off it's time for turkey April 1st-May 31st.  Fishing and bowfishing June and scouting, hanging, and planting in July and August.  Not much down time.

We've been crushing the ducks the last few days.
Well the problem is I can't really afford to get into waterfowl both financially and time wise. I owned a shotgun for two years and didn't even get into the field with it. The job is killing my weekends right now. The daughters are in there money spending prime of life and it is tough on my fun time. ;)

I used to be able to spend lots of extra time in the woods with the bow in my hand. Again weekends are short and booked solid. I did have fun in the time I was able to get away.

The cleaning and putting away of the guns just drives it home.

Offline bulletstuffer

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
  • Overkill begins when hair shoots out the antlers.
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 10:03:48 AM »
Coyotes open 24/7/365 ;D   

Crows have a 6 month season and the second six months you can shoot them if they are doing damage or about to do damage ;D   I'm a pretty good judge of charachter and the only crows I've shot in the off season were on there way to do damage somewhere ;)

Don't give up on the range time just because of a little snow and cold!  That is one of the best way to wipe out the winter blues.  One month of winter down 5 to go!

Stay warm,

Bulletstuffer

I am the first to work when I have to and the first to go on vacation when I can!  God Bless America!!!

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, 10:10:37 AM »
Coyotes open 24/7/365 ;D   

Crows have a 6 month season and the second six months you can shoot them if they are doing damage or about to do damage ;D   I'm a pretty good judge of charachter and the only crows I've shot in the off season were on there way to do damage somewhere ;)

Don't give up on the range time just because of a little snow and cold!  That is one of the best way to wipe out the winter blues.  One month of winter down 5 to go!

Stay warm,

Bulletstuffer
I didn't put the AR away as I do occasionally sneak away to try my hand on a coyote. I'm goofy but if I don't get to eat the results of a hunt it doesn't seem right. And I'm not gonna eat a coyote either.

Offline Silvertp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 05:14:48 PM »
There are a few critters worth shooting that aren't worth cooking.  Coyotes are one of them.  They do however make one of the warmest hats you'll ever pull down over your ears.  Ive got 2 coyote hats and they can save your ears in the harshest of winter weather.

Also, correctly cared for coyote pelts won't make you rich, but can help pay for some gas or cover some of the home front expenses.

Silvertp

Offline 351 power

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2011, 09:19:28 AM »
get some snowshoes and get out all winter
every day is a gift. use it well

colour is a symbol of where you are from and not of who you are

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2011, 09:25:43 AM »
get some snowshoes and get out all winter
Well I'll be out all winter, working. Won't need snow shoes thank God. I'll be everywhere from Roseau, Mn. and  International Falls, Mn. to Kearney, Ne. and Boonville,Mo. So I'm getting out there alright, just not where I want to be. ;)

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 08:14:02 AM »
Not to read like a smart a$$, I would presume you prefer what you need to do instead of being unemployed, right ??

Re your female offspring:  Mine couldn't be "wiley", cute or pouting enough to hit me in the pocket unless it was a needed item.
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2011, 02:31:56 AM »
Not to read like a smart a$$, I would presume you prefer what you need to do instead of being unemployed, right ??

Re your female offspring:  Mine couldn't be "wiley", cute or pouting enough to hit me in the pocket unless it was a needed item.
Feeding teenagers, even girls, gets expensive. They grow like weeds, become fashion conscious, and then go to college. They aren't spoiled too bad, make good grades and have jobs.

Don't get me wrong I am happy to have a job but would be happier hunting or fishing. It seems I can have time or money but neither at the same time. My last three work weeks have been 110 hours each, 60 of it on duty, and 50 bouncing in a sleeper. I'm getting to old for that crap. I need to make hay while the sun shines though. I don't trust that the economy is soon to rebound and no job is secure. Lordy, this morning I heard discussions of reducing the Federal work force. ::)  The end times are upon us for sure. ;) 

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2011, 03:22:42 AM »
Empty Q
I'm sure glad I'm past that stage in my life. It wasn't a cakewalk  in my time and it has gotten much worse now and I don't see any hope of improvement either. The "clock" has been 5 minutes before midnight for a long time. It is moving on.
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline 351 power

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2011, 09:59:01 AM »
seems like every suggestion someone has you shoot down. maybe you just need a pity party
every day is a gift. use it well

colour is a symbol of where you are from and not of who you are

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2011, 02:07:34 PM »
seems like every suggestion someone has you shoot down. maybe you just need a pity party
Now you are catching on.

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2011, 12:08:23 PM »
You need to stick a dinger in the back yard with a good back stop or trap, but it highe enough to keep it out of the snow and a box or two of CB longs
in a 22LR are fun to just walk out side shot a mag or two and go back in.
The noise is little so neighbors will not complain and you get some informal range time in.  Even if it is from you garage.

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2011, 03:16:41 AM »
You need to stick a dinger in the back yard with a good back stop or trap, but it highe enough to keep it out of the snow and a box or two of CB longs
in a 22LR are fun to just walk out side shot a mag or two and go back in.
The noise is little so neighbors will not complain and you get some informal range time in.  Even if it is from you garage.

You been looking over my shoulder?...Actually, mine is CB shorts out of the single six fired from just inside the threshold of the rear garage man door at cans hung with monofiliment from the maple tree which is exactly 26 yrds away. These sessions are only a couple times a week with no more than five rounds fired with my main priority being breathing and trigger control. This pays off well to keep me in tune with my large bore handguns.

In the mean time I am getting out after the Coyotes with rifle and mouth call when I can. The cold winter really is not that cold as the walk in and the walk out will warm you. Also the wind break of trees or hills n brush at my destination or call sites helps a bunch. These are some of my favorite hunts as I am guarenteed to have the woods to myself.

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2012, 06:12:41 PM »
Here is Alaska we have something to shoot year round if we want to.  Usually most folks don't hunt in July, they are busy fishing that month.  Caribou and Sheep in August.  Moose, Grizzly, Black Bear, and Wolf, in September.  More Moose and Caribou seasons in Oct, Nov, Dec, Jan, and Feb.  March and April we hunt predators.  Then in May the Bears come out.  We hunt Bears until into June. 
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline GeneRector

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2012, 02:44:19 AM »
 :)  Howdy! Hog hunting is usually year round in many states.
Always, Gene

Happy Trails!
Always,
Gene Rector
Endowed NRA Life Member