Author Topic: Another Bore war cannon  (Read 522 times)

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
Another Bore war cannon
« on: February 29, 2012, 10:56:58 AM »
Well some photos shared on the  Swivel Gun Carriage thread had a little surprise in there another Bore war era cannon but much smaller than the Long Cecile.....
http://www.flickr.com/photos/barryslemmings/213113493/in/photostream/
the caption reads:
 Home-made artillery at Firepower, Museum of the Royal Artillery'Wolf' the home-made gun built at the Siege of Mafeking in 1900 and named after Colonel Baden-Powell. The British were besieged by the Boers and needed an artillery piece to hit back at Boer entrenchments.
Wolf was built in Mafeking's workshops by James Connelly under the direction of Major Panzera from spare metal parts including the wheels from a threshing machine.
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline BoomLover

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Another Bore war cannon
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 07:08:20 PM »
That link led to some fantastic cannons and howitzers! Thank you for posting it! Boomlover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline steelcharge

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 12:39:50 AM »
Because I like all kinds of improvised cannons, this Wolf-gun has always been a favorite of mine.
Although the Long Cecil was larger, this one actually has a bit larger bore around 4.5 inches.

If you go to this page and scroll to about half-way the page you will find a photo of the gun, ammunition and people during the siege:
http://angloboerwarmuseum.com/Boer04_mysteries.html
It seems like they had for ammunition old round shells, solid shot and some 9 or 7pdr RML shells. There seems to be also a Krupp and Armstrong gun shell in the pile. I wonder how they loaded the smaller ca. 3" shells for rifled guns in a 4.5" smoothbore, if they actually used them.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 07:47:13 AM »
I have just ordered a copy of Artillery of the Anglo-Boer War’ .  It deals with all aspects of the artillery used by both sides in the conflict.  Written by Col Lionel Crook and edited by Ron Bester.

It is supposed to be loaded with a lot of field expedient artillery.  It is coming from South Afrcia so it may be a while before it gets here.  I do  a rewiew when I get it.