Author Topic: desert egle 44mag  (Read 1547 times)

Offline tommyboy84

• Trade Count: (0)
desert egle 44mag
« on: December 16, 2002, 01:03:17 PM »
Does any one know what one of these guns are worth? I'm asking because I was offerd one. it's black and dont have a scratch on it. I'm really thinking about getting it. the guy said he has 750$ in it and I can have it  for that.  :biggun:

Offline securitysix

• A Real Regular
desert egle 44mag
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2002, 05:10:17 AM »
Not bad.  I've seen them in Shotgun News for $650.  Add shipping and FFL fees to that, you're looking at roughly $690-$700, maybe more depending on your FFL.  If he's throwing in any extra mags, ammo, reloading components, or anything else to sweeten the deal, that could help balance out the price difference.

If you want a Desert Eagle, this is your chance to snatch one up.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Desert Eagle
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2002, 05:19:21 AM »
TommyBoy:  The Desert Eagle is one heck of a handgun, and a fistful.  They are touted as reliable and accurate.  You can also get longer or shorter barrels for those.  The price sounds very nice and I agree with securitysix, that if it comes with the accessories it should be a good deal.  

I cannot recall however if this is a gas operated handgun.  If it is you might not be able to shoot cast bullets as lead shavings would clog the gas port in the barrel but, there are plenty of jacketted bullets available in most of the preferred bullet weights to allow you to hunt anything you can get a license for on the North American continent.

I'm hoping someone else out here will help clarify if the Desert Eagle is gas operated.  Hope this helps.  Mikey.

Offline captainkirk

• Avid Poster
Nix the cast bullets
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2002, 05:48:18 AM »
Yes the Eagle is gas operated and cast bullets are contraindicated.  I had one a few years back and it was very reliable provided the loads were "factory equivalent"  That is to say a Nosler 240 grain and a nice load of AA # 9 worked well.  I think the 300 grain Sierra was too long for the mag when seated to the cannelure though.  At the time that was the only 300 grainer available...   Quite a handfull, not for the Tiny Tims out there...
 :wink:

Kirk
Phil 4:13   I can do all things through Christ who strengtheneth me.

Offline Zachary

desert egle 44mag
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2002, 11:24:16 AM »
I wouldn't want it for free (unless I could turn around and sell it).

Why?  Number one reason is that with those guns you HAVE to have it clean VERY often.  Otherwise, the gas ports foul-up and the gun jams.  I have seen this over and over again.  And I'm not talking about getting it cleaned after a case of ammo either.  I have seen these guns jam after only 50 shots.

You would be wise to spend that kind of money on another type of gun - just my personal opinion.  

Zachary

Offline Castaway

desert egle 44mag
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2002, 07:42:30 AM »
I've fondled Desert Eagles before and even fored one once or twice.  The things I particularly didn't like about it were the size and the fact that you are limited to full house loads (jacketed) only.  Most of my shooting is with cast and reduced velocity loads.  I don't enjoy getting battered each time I pull a trigger.

Offline Charlie Detroit

• Contributor
Well,
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2002, 02:54:37 PM »
I guess I can't tell you much about these things because I am literally unable to shoot one. When I take a proper firing grip on one, my index finger will not reach the trigger, and not by just a little bit, either. If you've got small hands, a word to the wise!
I ain't paranoid but every so often, I spin around real quick.--just in case
Sometimes I have a gun in my hand when I spin around.--just in case
I ain't paranoid, but sometimes I shoot when I spin around.--just in case

Offline wallynut

• Avid Poster
desert egle 44mag
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2002, 01:10:17 PM »
I've had three of them, all in 44mag.  You should not shoot cast or lead bullets out of them, only jacketed.  I would usually shoot about 3 boxes each time I went shooting, never had problems.  When handloading, loads at normal velocities are required to work the action, most off the shelf stuff should function.  Accuarcy in all three guns that I had, was great.  I thought the recoil was better then shooting a wheel gun, some was taken up by the action.  I have small hands and was able to shoot one handed, heck my 12 year old nephew even shot it a few times.  Yes it is heavy, carrying in the field was combersome, don't bother with holster at the waist, your pants will end up around your ankles!  Some of the guns even have adjustable triggers.  Some guns are not for everyone, this type is expensive, if you can afford it, go for it.  You should be able to resell it if you don't like it.  I'd get your friend to go lower, about $650-675 unless he has extra mags or other stuff, especailly if he didn't by it brand new.

Wallynut
aim small, miss small

Offline Dogshooter

• A Real Regular
  • NRA Life Member
desert egle 44mag
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2002, 03:10:45 AM »
I had one in 50 AE and handfull is an apt description. I had plans for a bear gun when I got it but after taking it the range and shoting half a box of factory loads I took it straight to a gun show and traded it off. I have pretty big hands and hand size never was a problem with any gun I had handled up to that point. But that thing was tough to hold onto. And it weighed as much as a Marlin Guide Gun. I think the frame size is pretty much the same on the one you are looking at so I wouldn't be surprised if that ain't why it is up for sale now. See if the guy will let you shoot it before you buy it.
Perception is everything. For instance, a crowded elevator smells different to a midget.