Author Topic: What do you call this type fore end?  (Read 926 times)

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
What do you call this type fore end?
« on: February 27, 2012, 05:52:58 PM »
I am looking for a certain type wood fore end for a project.  I'm not sure what type fore end I should be looking/asking for.  I have listed what I believe to be the available name/type of wood fore ends currently available for H&R's.  If I am incorrect in my assumptions, please feel free to supply the correct name for type of fore end, or supply any correct information in regards to fore end types.

The top fore end came off an older Pardner shotgun.

The center fore end, is a schnabel type fore end which came off a Handi-Rifle.

The bottom one is the type I'm looking for.  What is the correct name, and off which type of H&R gun did this come with?  Rifle or shotgun?  Does H&R have this item in stock? If so, does anyone know what the H&R stock number is, and approximate price?

"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
Re: What do you call this type fore end?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 08:08:58 PM »
OSR,

Top one looks like a compact or youth model forestock.

Middle one is a schnable

The bottom one is a standard H&R forestock and looks like it is Pallet wood Laminated.  Also I think the bottom one is off a rifle since it has a sling swivel stud.   I would ask brian56 if they still make the pallet wood laminate or just a pallet wood forestock.   If you find a new one or a used one it will be hit or miss on the finish matching your stock.

All three of these should fit any h&r barrel since 1986 except for the the 10 ga and 12 ga USH barrels. 

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline OldSchoolRanger

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 03:36:18 AM »
BB,

I'm looking for a MC rifle stock set with the size and shape of the "standard" fore stock.  I knew what a schnabel fore end looked like, but I didn't know what the one I wanted was called.  Some of the classifieds don't have photos, so I needed to know what to ask for, but wasn't sure.

Thanks as always for the information.
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline flmason

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 03:58:57 PM »
Not certain of this, but isn't the bottom called a "beaver tail"?

Offline stubshaft

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Contributor
  • ROA's Rule
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 07:07:21 PM »
Yup, definitely a Beavertail.
If I agreed with you then we would both be wrong.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 10:00:21 AM »
OSR, all the Ultra Varmint and Ultra hunter rifles Ive had/looked at have had the MC lam set up like you want. FWIW, the wood that came on the UV 22.Mag I have is now on my 45-70; bolt on fit.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline OldSchoolRanger

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 06:29:02 AM »
gcrank1,

OSR, all the Ultra Varmint and Ultra hunter rifles Ive had/looked at have had the MC lam set up like you want. FWIW, the wood that came on the UV 22.Mag I have is now on my 45-70; bolt on fit.

Thanks, for the information.  That's exactly what I want the stock set for. ;D