Author Topic: have my 30-30 load how have your on game results been?  (Read 402 times)

Offline Deerhunter#1

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
have my 30-30 load how have your on game results been?
« on: March 10, 2012, 12:08:10 AM »
well the 125 grain sierra pro hunters shoot great and will be trying the 125 nosler bt. The difference will make about a 100 ft lb of energy gain with the nosler. What has your experience been with the combo on deer. Read alot of these article that say its to light. no shot further than 200 and all reality 100. I know one think it is enjoyable to shoot and accurate.

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
Re: have my 30-30 load how have your on game results been?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 01:27:01 AM »
Never shot the lighter bullets in my .30-30 but thought about it.  I've always used the 150 and lately I've been thinking about reaming the throat (about 1/8 inch or more freebore) to seat the Speer 150 Hot-Cor out to the crimping grove.  It would make a much longer cartridge with a very pointed bullet and give it a "bitty bit" more case capacity.  I'm already past the average pressure for the .30-30 but staying (so far) within written quidelines in keeping with the thin case design.

I will be following this thread to see how the 125's are doing.

Offline tom548

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (51)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 03:14:56 AM »
I have used the 125 bullet in all my .30 cal , .308- 30-30 and 300 Win Mag. Works great for white tail, and with good shot placement I have never lost one.  I do pick my shots, heart/lung or head/neck.  If you are the type that's takes any shot that presents it self you may want to go 150 or 165. I started using 125 bullets in  the 300 Win. mag. hoping to lessen the shot thought and reduce the chance that the bullet could do more harm to some thing or someone that could be beyond the deer and out of sight. The 125 gr. does well if you do your part, and it makes the 30-30 much flatter shooting.

Offline Deerhunter#1

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 03:18:47 AM »
The ballistics look great. The energy out to 200get is acceptable on paper but wanted to get some real world experience.

Offline twoshooter

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Remember the Starfish......
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 03:30:42 AM »
I have used the 125's for years (actually decades , damn I am getting old) starting with my contender. The contender had a 14 " barrel and shot them great, killed deer with no problem, from 125 -150 yards. When I got a handi for my grandson to use I found it had a short throat so I had to set the bullets back about .080 and I had 8 more inches of barrel, they had to be producing at least 250 fps more than the contender. He has killed deer with it, last year he shot a nice doe at about 90 yards, did not wait for her to turn and shot in front of left shoulder, exited right hip, destroyed everything in between. Deer are just not that tough. Maybe on a hog, or something bigger.
1000 years ago Men KNEW the Earth was the center of the Universe.....500 years ago Men KNEW the world was flat....... 15 minutes ago you KNEW man was alone in the universe.... Just IMAGINE what we will know tomorrow !! "K"- from Men in Black.