Author Topic: Dies for 22 Hornet Handi Rifle  (Read 1035 times)

Offline YRUpunting?

• Trade Count: (24)
Dies for 22 Hornet Handi Rifle
« on: March 05, 2012, 05:18:30 AM »
I'm ready to order a 22 Hornet Handi, but before I do I'm confused on what dies I need.  The article linked in the FAQ recommends buying a Lee Collet die, a Redding Body die and any one of the competition seating dies.  Throw in possibly needing a Lee crimping die and the dies cost a little less than half the rifle.  I'm new to reloading and the Hornet will be my first adventure in reloading a rifle case.  Are all these dies necessary for a single shot?

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
Re: Dies for 22 Hornet Handi Rifle
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 05:32:32 AM »
For now I'd just stick with a set of either Lee or RCBS dies , FL sizer and seater , that will get you going with the Lee set being cheaper ( new ) , the Handi Hornet can be a tad picky but nothing that can't be overcome with basic loading practices .  ;)

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline AR50shooter

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Retired Correction Sgt.
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 05:49:32 AM »
YRUpunting,  Just go with a set of full length RCBS dies and you will be fine. Cabelas has them on sale right now for $31.99. I believe the item number is IK-210894. I've used these for years and had great results.  AR50shooter

Offline AR50shooter

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Retired Correction Sgt.
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 05:51:58 AM »
If you want to crimp the bullets the RCBS can be adjusted for it,just takes a few minutes to get it the way you want.

Offline tobster

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 07:50:08 AM »
I would suggest not using flat base bullets at first if you are new to reloading. The Hornet necks are  thin and wrinkle real easy, so a boat tail bullet will make the seating process a little easier. I would think any die set would serve your purpose.

Offline cab32

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 02:23:27 PM »
A lee 22 hornet deluxe die set consists of a full length resize die, a bullet seating die and a neck sizing collet die also comes with a shell holder. These can be purchased for $28.00 plus shipping from discounters on the net. PM me if you need a recommendation.   a lee factory crimp die and a universal case flaring die for using cast bullets can also be had for $10.00 each .  I know some will disagree, but lee dies tend to be the least expensive and are good dies.  They are not plated or pretty and are inadequate for some specialized applications, but The factory crimp dies and the collet dies have no equal at any price. I use lee dies a lot and generally only buy others if I need a special purpose or if they are not offered by lee. 
CAB

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 02:46:30 PM »
I will plus that X 10
The Lee deluxe set does it all, you can fire form the cases and only use the neck sizing collet die, finely adjusted, to considerably lengthen case life and perfectly fit your bullet of choice without having to crimp, then full length resize only when really needed. The perfect case to bullet neck tension is often all that is needed anyway in a single shot rifle. Oh, and NO case lube need be applied or removed to the collet die, considerably speeding up the reloading process.
I started with a 'quality' std. FL set, but once I found the Lee I never went back. I used mostly cast lead bullets, but jacketed liked the Lee set too. My jacketed reloads would typically go 3/10ths inch at 50yds (my home range) consistently and repeatedly.  FWIW, I had 20+ reloads in some of those cases before I sold the last of the Hornets, and the brass and dies went to a very happy friend.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline Jason F

• Trade Count: (261)
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 04:30:07 PM »
And if you decide to do the k-hornet send your sizer die back to lee and they will rechamber your die for i think 10 bucks,rcbs wont do it i tried
handi rifles- 22 mag      22 hornet    223      7mm-08      308 chip shot     30-30 x2     30-06 shorty      358 cheez whiz     357 max     35 remington     375-08    410 rifled slug     454 casull     460 s&w     45 smokeless muzzleloader x2     45-70    50 huntsman    50-70 government shikari     20 ga.ush     12 ga.ush    12 ga.3 1/2     10 ga.imp.cyl. slug gun

Offline rdlange

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (52)
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 04:42:00 PM »
Thanks Jason...

I was wondering about K hornet dies. 
Think as if you LIFE depends on it... IT does..!  Be Well...

Offline jeepmann1948

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (67)
  • San Angelo, Texas
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 05:39:46 PM »
 I have found that the main advantage of the K version over the standard is case life. Velocity is somewhat faster and I noticed a bit of improvement in the accuracy department as well.This was probably due to cutting the new neck and throat with a good reamer.Either chambering will serve you well and are a lot of cheap fun to shoot.
Happy Trails
George
"it ain't what you shoot em with......................
  it's where you hit em "

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 09:17:08 PM »
And if you decide to do the k-hornet send your sizer die back to lee and they will rechamber your die for i think 10 bucks,rcbs wont do it i tried

Really?? cost me $35  I like some of the Lee products, but RCBS dies are better, not saying Lee dies are bad, they are not, but they are not RCBS dies.  Just as RCBS dies are not Redding dies.

keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline chubcobear

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 02:00:17 AM »
I can send you an RCBS set with shell holder for free if you send me an address where you want them shipped.  I inherited them and do not have, nor intend to buy, a .22 hornet.  I have a 22-250 Handi.
chubcobear@yahoo.com
Big government - big mistake

Offline Jason F

• Trade Count: (261)
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2012, 02:21:14 AM »
I didnt say rcbs dont make k-hornet dies they wont rechamber one to k-hornet if you send it back,but lee will,most guys start out with the hornet then they goto k-hornet,just saves you from buying another set.
handi rifles- 22 mag      22 hornet    223      7mm-08      308 chip shot     30-30 x2     30-06 shorty      358 cheez whiz     357 max     35 remington     375-08    410 rifled slug     454 casull     460 s&w     45 smokeless muzzleloader x2     45-70    50 huntsman    50-70 government shikari     20 ga.ush     12 ga.ush    12 ga.3 1/2     10 ga.imp.cyl. slug gun

Offline keith44

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2012, 05:55:11 AM »
sent my set back to RCBS with a fired shell and they reamed my dies to match the chamber.  This was in 2001, and they may no longer do it, but they used to.
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2012, 07:28:52 AM »
Back when I bought my Martini, I spent what seemed to me at the time a small fortune for a set of RCBS K-Hornet dies.  Problems with this rifle kept me from shooting it much and later on I bought another rifle in K-Hornet.  The newer rifle came with Hornady dies and a few hundred rounds of ammo.   

After trying the Hornady dies, I'm sold on them and they would have been cheaper than the RCBS dies.  I'm not sure if I'm going to hold onto or sell the RCBS dies but I'm also in the same boat with my BSA Martini...

Tony

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2012, 07:48:57 AM »
I can send you an RCBS set with shell holder for free if you send me an address where you want them shipped.  I inherited them and do not have, nor intend to buy, a .22 hornet.  I have a 22-250 Handi.
chubcobear@yahoo.com

WELCOME!!

Kudos that a very generous offer!! YRUpunting what are you waiting for!!!  LOL

My first choice in dies is Redding followed by RCBS then Current Hornady, Lyman, Forster and even old Bonanza dies. Aside from the  NECK sizer Collet dies, I will not buy lee. Last set I did buy was a 500S&W because they where the only "game in town". The carbide ring broke in pieces after a couple four boxes of loads. NO abuse what so ever. I pitched them in the circular file and bought a RCBS set. NO further problems since. Hundreds of rounds loaded.

The RCBS does will do you well!

I know RCBS always did alter dies. The last ones I did where Redding dies for my 6.5x63. Dies, altering then and chambering reamer where about two hundred.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.