Author Topic: 5.56 nato reload problem!!! --Fixxed problem , LOCK IT UP!!!  (Read 1997 times)

Offline parkergunshop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
  • Retired Computer Tech, Gunsmithing as a hobby
Re: 5.56 nato reload problem!!!
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2012, 11:49:04 AM »
Lloyd,
I'm willing to  bet that you and I have reloaded for more different calibers and for more varied rifles than anyone on this thread,  My reloading started in the 1950's and I have reloaded Shotshells, Pistol and Rifle ammo. with over 50 sets of reloading dies on the shelves behind my loading benches.
The only type of reloading I will do if I know the rounds are to be fired in an auto loading rifle is with small base dies.  I want 100 percent function.   And from a pure function standpoint in a self defense situation perfer, factory ammo in Pistols and Rifles used for that purpose.

U.S. Airforce 1961-1967
Lackland AFB,  Sheppard AFB, Texas
Homestead AFB FLorida, 1962-63 Cuban Crisis
Loring AFB, Maine 1963-1964
AFTAC Alexandria, VA 1965-1967
Air Force Competition Rife Team
NRA Endowment Life Member
National Benchrest Rifle Shooters Association

Freedom is not cheap in any sense of the word.  Only those willing to fight for it will have it in the long run.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2012, 11:45:17 PM »
I agree with you up to the point of factory ammo. I know theres alot of crap about lawyers and shootings with reloads but that aside i think I actually trust my ammo loaded the way i do more then i trust factory ammo. Ive had missfires with factory ammo. I had two failures to fire last summer one with winchester white box .223 and one with wolf. Now granted in both cases its cheap ammo and if you bought top shelf stuff it probalby would work great but its hard for me to spend the money to buy that expensive stuff when i can make it alot cheaper
blue lives matter

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2012, 09:10:31 AM »
I have loaded for a long time , learned from books at first then had some great guys help me. I load shotgun , rifle and handgun . I load wild cats that require making brass 357 herret comes to mind its a good round. 7.7 jap was interesting and some other hard to get rounds.
lioyd Smale , I believe if you buy good reloading equipment , used good data, used quality componets , are willing to perfect your process and not skip good proceedures you can load ammo that will exceed factory . This is in no way is a cut to factory ammo as it is the best it has ever been . The problem is factory ammo has to function in an almost unlimited number and brand guns . Hand loaded ( not just reloaded ) ammo is taylor made to a spefic gun or at least a spefic type weapon.
To me hand loaded is just that , all cases are trimmed , cleaned , hand primed , sized ,each powder charge is weighed , each bullet is seated and crimped in different operations . The bullet and load have proven to be the best for the gun they will be used in. Reloaded can include the above but often involves dumping powder and/or a progressive press nothing at all wrong with either.
In reloading or hand loading attention to detail is everything. I enjoy reloading and shooting very tinny groups with home rolled loads I also enjoy the cost savings .
If you want your rifle to shoot great spend the money on a good scope and dies !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline ironglowjr

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2012, 11:35:13 PM »
OK Guys soo i went to the range and shot about 50 -75 reloads without any problems....So I went home and wipped out the 'ole Hornady Bullet Puller and pulled about 100 bullets( Fun Stuff....Not!) .... Now that i got the reload problem fixed, what is the best reload you guys have found for your ARs, with average group size? I have A 1-9 twist, 24" bull on mine.

ironglowjr

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2012, 01:33:28 AM »
Get a pound of Vargat powder it list a load that works.

Offline ironglowjr

• Avid Poster
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2012, 04:29:30 PM »
I got some varget, just wondering if there are any loads that someone has worked up that I have not tried...

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2012, 01:51:28 AM »
I will try to bring some in mon. puter is at work load data at home.

Offline ironglowjr

• Avid Poster
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2012, 09:39:14 AM »
Thanks