Author Topic: 22 versa pack reamed?  (Read 626 times)

Offline hunter4626

• Trade Count: (5)
22 versa pack reamed?
« on: March 27, 2012, 02:01:22 AM »
How hard \easy is it to change to 22 mag.Will the barrel fit most any sb1\sb2 frame? I would like to add to my custom shorty 20 guage as part of my truck gun kit.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Re: 22 versa pack reamed?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 08:56:13 AM »
I have had a couple done and it's a great impovement. Others here have also had it done and everyone to a man has reported EXCELLENT accuracy and no problems from the barrels after reaming. It is important to use a .22 Mag rifle reamer and not a reamer intended to be used in revolvers or pistols (longer throat/leade?). The ejector has to be removed and then replacedfor the reaming and be sure, as in all reaming, to use plenty of cutting oil and to go slow. Clean the reamer often and place no side pressure on the reamer. I have had mine done by a gunsmith but after watching him I am sure it could be done by a careful gunowner. Many here have reamed thier .357 Mags out .357 Max with no problems, it's all the same procedure...As a bonus I have fired mine using .22 LR shells with no problems. Just be careful in placing the .22 LR shell in the chamber so it does not slip over the ejector. It works and could be used in an emergency, not as accurate as a standard .22 LR chambered barrel but it works if needed. Try it, you'll like it. I have one setup with a .22 Mag chambered VP barrel and a 20 guage 20" barrel with choke tubes on a Survivor stock and in a Versa Pak gun case. A real handy Handi....<><.... :)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
Re: 22 versa pack reamed?
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 09:45:52 AM »
Before you do it try some Aguila SSS 60gr 22LR loads, some guns shoot them well and some start to tumble after 50yds or so. Up to that, though, a 60bullet has a lot of thwak! For a survival gun Id like to have some in my pack. In most cases 50yds would be a long shot, dont you think?
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974