Author Topic: Jacketed Handgun Bullet Performance Question  (Read 465 times)

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • Sweet Home Alabama
Jacketed Handgun Bullet Performance Question
« on: March 20, 2012, 06:12:13 AM »
As much as I wanted to shoot lead bullets in my 20 inch 45 LC Encore it just doesn't like anything I've ran thru it. What it does like is Hornady 240 gr XTP Mags and 250 gr XTP's over a healthy dose of Lilgun. Both of these rounds are running in the 1700 + fps range from this rifle. Hornady website says it's XTP's work best in the 700-1500 fps range while the XTP Magnums do best in the 1200-2300 fps range. A large doe I took last season at about 40 yards was DRT with the 250 gr XTP but the core kept on going while the jacket stayed just under the skin on the exit side. It did it's job but completely came apart. I was definately over the 1500 fps ceiling with this bullet. I loaded some 240 XTP Mags and although they shoot well I haven't taken game with them yet. Was thinking of owning some of the 300 gr XTP Mag bullets also but had this question. I'm good with deer loads but as far as a hog load goes, would a 240 gr XTP Mag @ 1700+ fps or a 300 gr XTP Mag @ 1500 fps do the job best ? I know a lot of you here like the 300 gr bullets in your 45 LC rifles, just wondering if I really need them as good as the 240's shoot in my gun. As always, appreciate all input.
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die the world cries and you rejoice.

Offline GH1

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Jacketed Handgun Bullet Performance Question
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 12:09:31 PM »
 I would use what you're comfortable and confident with. I've seen pigs killed with 150 gr soft point bullets from a .30-30, 405 gr cast from a .45-70, and I killed mine with a 158 gr cast from a .357. I see no reason why you won't b successful with the XTP, provided you hit it where your supposed to.
 I'm curious as to what kind of problems you're having with cast bullets, could you elaborate please?
GH1 :)
I owe my life to an organ donor

Offline irold

• Trade Count: (22)
  • A Real Regular
  • "Live today , for tomorrow may never come"
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 12:35:32 PM »
. I see no reason why you won't b successful with the XTP, provided you hit it where your supposed to.

As GH 1 stated....

I was using a 44 mag loaded with 240 XTP/HPs over 24grs of W-296 on my boar. First shot hit right on the front shoulder....he run off , seemed a little upset.  After heading him off at the pass....my second shot hit almost the same place...but maybe a couple inches to the rear....he stumbled, then went down.  Bullet placement......good luck

regards , irold

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Sweet Home Alabama
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 12:39:40 PM »
When I first got the barrel I tried 4 different weights of cast bullets over several powders. All were sized .452. Best group was about 8 inches. Then tried some 250 gr XTP's over two different powders and the one with the Lilgun shot great. I have since worked up loads with the 250 XTP's and the 240 XTP Mags that shoot the same at 100 yards and 3 shots will touch if I do my job. Just was wondering if I needed to work with the 300 XTP Mags for hog loads. All these Hornady bullets are .452.
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die the world cries and you rejoice.

Offline anachronism

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 02:08:19 PM »
You must have some really liberal game laws. In my state, 45 Colt is not a legal rifle caliber for deer. We have a 1000 ft/lb energy minimum at 100 yards. It's fine for a handgun if loaded hot, though. It does sound like you need a tougher bullet. Have you looked at Speers plated bullets? They're reputed to be stiffer than Hornadys std jacketed bullets

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 04:55:58 PM »
I'm shooting the 300 gr. XTP Magnums out of my .45 LC Classic Carbine.  Took a deer with it this year and it dropped it quick.  No over expansion, but complete pass thru.  The 250 gr. XTP's perform well for me, but NOT above 1400 FPS.  I actually had some at 1800+ dejacket before hitting the target at 100 yards.  Threw tiny copper shards everywhere hehe.  If you can Find the 240 gr. XTP Magnums, I've only gotten one box so far, but they are good performers.  Just haven't put those into game, actually since first go round with em, I cannot locate them in stock when I have cash.  hehe

p.s.  I'm using the Reloader7 load that I've posted a few times, for the carbine.  Gains a good bit over any other load and nice pressures too. ;)  I just marker them orange, so I know they are for the carbine.  ;)

Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 11:55:38 PM »
have you looked at nosler partition handgun bullets? I dont shoot much jacketed in big bores but if i had to rely on a bullet to do the job thats the one id be looking at.
blue lives matter

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Sweet Home Alabama
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 01:57:04 PM »
To the question about calibers in Alabama, we can deer hunt with any center fire cartridge. I've killed them with .223's up to 500 S&W mag and a boat load of calibers in between. I've not shot the Speer in the 45LC and Nosler is just too proud of their pistol bullets. Hornady makes a great bullet if I just use the right one for the speed I'm running and the game I'm hunting.

Offline 243dave

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 05:28:19 PM »
Tacklebury has it right, past 1500fps the regular XTP's will start to over-expand and limit penetration on game.  The XTP MAG is a stout bullet that won't come apart.  I run the 300gr XTP MAG at around 1600fps out of my trapper and the bullet is stout enough to travel length-wise thru deer and always kills very well.  Someday I will give the 240gr xtp mags a try but so far I have been very impressed with the 300gr xtp mags.  I imagine either one of the XTP MAGS would work great on deer and hogs.