Author Topic: Arsenal Model of Spanish 9-inch howitzer  (Read 955 times)

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
Arsenal Model of Spanish 9-inch howitzer
« on: March 19, 2012, 03:51:09 AM »
I probably posted this years ago but since there are many new members, here it is.  This model came to my attention via a local antique gun dealer, and though I never managed to acquire it despite trying for about 28 years, I did visit the owner and get some photos.  This is about a 1/6 scale model as I recall, tube is about 18" long or so, bore about 1.5", made at the Spanish Royal Foundry in Manila in 1858.  The COA is that of Queen Isabella II of Spain.  Name on gun is ROVIRA, who was a famous Spanish naval cannon designer of the late 18th C.  He held high rank, I forget if he was an admiral or general or ?.  I think he was an instructor at the Spanish Naval Cadet School and a few texts and/or technical works he authored exist.  Other than the fact that his name was given to this model, he had nothing to do with it.  Model has a presentation from an Army Ordnance Officer who was in charge of the Manila arsenal after capture by the US in 1898.  Model was presented to a US senator.  I think both model and carriage are original.  I gave it my best shot including annual phone calls to the owner but was never able to land this prize.  I still try occasionally now that it has been inherited by another generation of the family.  What sometimes happens is that the descendents don't appreciate these things and they get scrapped, given to the Salvation Army or whatever and I'd certainly like to prevent that if possible.  The barrel on this piece is bronze and weighs about 40 Spanish pounds, which you can see from the trunnion mark.
Does anyone know why the "N" is backwards in the word "Manila?"  I don't.

Offline Artilleryman

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Arsenal Model of Spanish 9-inch howitzer
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 04:44:02 AM »
Nice cannon.  Hope you are able to acquire it someday.  No idea why the N is backwards.  I thought for a moment that the worker and reversed his stamp, but that wouldn't make it backwards.
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline onegreatshot

• keep their heads down til help arrives
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
  • Proud owner of 3 brooks USA cannons, look'g 4 more
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 05:35:46 AM »
very nice work for such a small piece. I thought it was larger until the photo withthe ruler. Nice micro camera work.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 07:01:50 PM »
That's an admirable barrel. What does the .O. L.9. on the muzzle face signify?
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 05:44:27 AM »
What does the .O. L.9. on the muzzle face signify?

As close as I can tell being a gringo non-Espanol speaker, it is the gun designation, exactly or approximately:

Obus Largo, 9 (Spanish inches=Pulgadas).

Obus Largo means Long Howitzer, I think, someone correct me.  However, when there are short and long versions of a particular Spanish piece of a given caliber, as there usually were, they are described as either short or long, by "Corto" or "Largo" respectively.  My Spanish short 8 pounder gun has on the muzzle, as I recall, "8 Co."

Spanish were pretty much like everyone else back then, round solid-shot-firing guns designated by "pounder" and hollow shell-firing howitzers and mortars designated by bore diameter. 

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 06:55:06 AM »
Thanks, cannonmn. I was guessing that the 9 was the bore diameter, and the O was for a Spanish word similar to the latin based French word obusier, but I wasn't sure (I had no clue about the L).
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 01:02:04 PM »
 :)

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 01:12:51 PM »
Does anyone know why the "N" is backwards in the word "Manila?"

No idea but you will notice that the N just to the right of the vent is the same way.  Are there any other N's on the gun?
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline jamesfrom180

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 03:24:25 AM »
dyslectic mold maker? Are these cast into the barrel or engraved? Could also be a form of diacritical tilde.
AMMA Bosslopper 1988

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 09:30:49 AM »
Could also be a form of diacritical tilde.

Could be although I have never seen Manila spelled with an Ñ.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill