Author Topic: holster recommendations  (Read 1565 times)

Offline flatlander

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
holster recommendations
« on: March 07, 2012, 04:00:09 AM »
I'm looking for a tuckable holster for my new PF9. I want a tuckable holster, and it needs to entend to cover the rear section of the slide so it doesn't dig into my side. I would also prefer that it isn't too bulky. Currently, I'm considering a crossbreed minituck, kholster crescent, comp-tac minotaur, and the sideguard double tuck. I really need to keep the holster cost under $100, and I think I can do it and still get a comfortable, functional holster.

Does anyone have experience with any of these, or other models to consider? Right now I think I'm leaning toward the crossbreed, but am willing to hear suggestions or feedback.

Offline John R.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: holster recommendations
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 07:33:39 AM »
Definitly try the Crossbreed Supertuck line, they are the most comfortable I've used.

Offline flatlander

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 10:51:26 AM »
I think that luvthegun mojo should be on the list, too. Crossbreed still is at the top of the list so far.

Offline dougk

• Driftwood TEXAS
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 02:12:06 PM »
The Crossbreed is the way to go.  Also you should check out the Crossbreed Seconds site.  If you hit it right you could end up with a very nice belt and holster for less than $100..

Doug

Offline flatlander

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 02:30:37 PM »
I picked up a crossbreed from the seconds store. They had a lefty horsehide for my gun, so I jumped on it. Didn't get a belt, though. I got a couple a while back from hanks. I'll let you know what I think when it arrives.
The decision was made mostly since I haven't found many negative comments on them except that they are ugly. That's OK, I'm planning on hiding mine.  ;D Everyone says they are super comfortable, so I'm going to give it a try.

Offline dougk

• Driftwood TEXAS
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 02:16:15 PM »
Excellent Find

I recall reading somewhere that the Croddbreed creek a little during break in.  I would be curious if yours makes any noises.

Doug

Offline flatlander

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 07:36:11 AM »
I'll let you know when it arrives. I am really looking forward to trying it out.

Offline dougk

• Driftwood TEXAS
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 02:30:31 AM »
They ship very quickly...

Offline flatlander

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 09:30:26 AM »
My payment made it to them yesterday. I would possibly expect it by the end of the week.  ;D

Offline dougk

• Driftwood TEXAS
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2012, 04:17:07 AM »
Hey

Did you get it?

Doug

Offline flatlander

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2012, 11:40:49 AM »
Nope. Sent them an e-mail yesterday, and got a reply that it will ship in a day or 2.

So basically, an in-stock item that is paid for with immediate cash still takes a week before shipping. So I guess my experience is that they don't ship very promptly. Not the end of the world, but could be better, IMO.

Offline dougk

• Driftwood TEXAS
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2012, 04:02:35 PM »
I wonder if the guy that runs the seconds program is on vacation.

Offline flatlander

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2012, 02:09:20 PM »
I'm looking forward to getting it. The delay isn't going to kill me..I'll just carry my other gun until it arrives.  I will post a review when I get it in.

Offline John R.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2012, 03:59:35 AM »
Both of mine creaked a little bit when I first got them, nothing a little leather conditioner won't take care of. Both of mine are Horsehide.

Offline flatlander

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2012, 12:18:36 PM »
Mine arrived today. It is horsehide, too, and creaks with every move I make so far. I wore it around the house for a little while, then put some conditioner on it. It seems to be softer, but I'll wait for it to dry a bit before I wear it again. Hopefully it will quiet things down a little.
Mink oil in the conditioner won't give my gun problems, will it? I guess it might be a bit late to ask though.  :o

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2012, 12:41:54 AM »
I don't care for softness in belts or scabbards.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline flatlander

• A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2012, 05:23:03 AM »
The conditioner did quiet most of the noise down. What I did notice that the creaking that is left is between the clips and the leather. If I tuck my shirt in, the holster is quiet. I might have to put some soft velcro in between the clip and the holster to help when I don't tuck in my shirt.

Aside from that, I really like the holster so far. It is very comfortable, and I think I will wear this one more than any other. I haven't had to do anything to the kydex for retention. The pistol is secure when I'm wearing it, and hides well with just a tucked in shirt. So far I'm very happy with it.

Offline flatlander

• A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2012, 04:29:48 PM »
I wore it all day today with my shirt tucked in over it. It was quiet, and EXTREMELY comfortable. I hardly noticed that I had it on for much of the day. I had a jacket over it around town, but was around a group for a few hours this evening with no jacket, and noone called me on it  or noticed it, I think. I'm a big fan so far. I think I will get another for my 738.

Offline dougk

• Driftwood TEXAS
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2012, 01:16:13 AM »
That is great news.  Having a comfortable holster that is not noticeable is very important.

Offline flatlander

• A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2012, 02:00:08 AM »
I've been carrying with it as often as I can, and I'm really happy with the crossbreed. Wore it for the family gathering on Easter with no jacket, and the only question I got was from my brother wanting to know what the clip over my belt was for. He had no idea that I was carrying. The crossbreed mini-tuck and the PF9 are a terrific concealed combo. I might get a pair a J-clips to see how that works with it, but wearing a black belt is probably just as effective.

Offline dougk

• Driftwood TEXAS
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2012, 03:08:34 AM »
I have heard the velco clips with the velco belt is the most secure and least detectable. 

Offline flatlander

• A Real Regular
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2012, 01:48:33 AM »
After owning this holster for month, I need to thank everyone who recommended the crossbreed and the seconds store. I am extremely happy with this holster. I've worn it enough to break it in, and it fits to me and has quieted down. It is stealthy, and amazingly comfortable. I would definitely recommend crossbreeds to anyone looking for a concealed carry, especially for smaller single stack pistols. It really makes the gun disappear.

Offline DDZ

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2012, 10:25:29 AM »
If someone is looking for pretty, you probably won't be happy with the crossbreed, but if you are looking for functionality in a holster you will like the crossbreed. Couple of years ago I bought one for my SP101. In a few months of wearing it, I bought one for my full sized 1911. Carrying both guns in the crossbreeds are very comfortable and can conceal with me just wearing a teeshirt. I will probably never try another holster for concealed carry, because of how much I like the crossbreed. The holsters I have bought and tried will just remain in a box stored in my basement.   
Those people who will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants.    Wm. Penn

Offline flatlander

• A Real Regular
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2012, 09:21:35 AM »
If someone is looking for pretty, you probably won't be happy with the crossbreed, but if you are looking for functionality in a holster you will like the crossbreed.   

Definitely, but then again, I bought it so I could hide it.  ;D