Author Topic: Glass/Pillar, Partial, Full length/ Free float  (Read 854 times)

Offline mspaci

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
Glass/Pillar, Partial, Full length/ Free float
« on: January 19, 2012, 07:36:02 AM »
Just been reading about accurizing rifles. I have never hunted with one, but thinking about the Adirondacks next year.  I have a 30-06 ranger blind mag. It shoots really well with 180 core locks in a hand load but just ok with factory stuff. I was thinking about having some work done on it to get different loads to acceptable levels. So here is the question. Should I pillar bed it, glass bed, partial or full length, free float the barrel? Why free float if full bed? Just want to know what procedures have worked for others.  Mike

Offline gunnut69

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: Glass/Pillar, Partial, Full length/ Free float
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 11:00:36 AM »
Glass bedding is usually really bedding the action in a polyester resin to help achieve perfect contact. I.E. no movement of the action if the action screws are loosened or tightened. Most simply bed the front action screw the recoil lug and a few inches of the swelled area or the barrel just in front of the front ring, called the barrel re-enforce. Free floating the barrel eliminates contact of the barrel and the channel in which it lies. The main reason is that wood absorbs water and swells. As it does it is usually not even so the pressure the stock would exert on the barrel would be variable and will cause the rifles zero to wonder. If the barrel is totally bedded and the resin controls the movement of the wood the contact CAN provide a deadening effect.. Remington installs a pad in the barrel channel of their rifles to push up on the barrel helping to control vibration which does help accuracy, they relie on their urethane finish to keep moisture transpiration down. Their rifles are known to be unusually accurate. The current trend is to float the barrel, after the action is securely bedded to keep the zero as stable as possible. this is a very debated topic and there are many opinions. Pillar bedding is installing an immovable material (aluminum, steel, or even bedding material) in the stock between the action and the bottom metal where the action screws pierce the stock. This is glass bedding with a spacer included and was really kind of developed to keep good bedding from changing as the wood between the metal components of the action from compressing over time. There are several threads in the gunsmithing threads that might provide some guidance, especially should you wish to try it yourself..
gunnut69--
The 2nd amendment to the constitution of the United States of America-
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."