Author Topic: Found a Gardner made Sportster sitting on the shelf  (Read 939 times)

Offline guvnor

• Trade Count: (0)
Found a Gardner made Sportster sitting on the shelf
« on: February 26, 2012, 09:56:01 AM »
Decided to buy a new .22 today...went to a local shop and was pleased to see a N.I.B. sportster .22lr in the back of the rack.   To my surprise in was made at the gardner plant!  I decided I had to have it right then.  According to the FAQ and serial prefix it was made in 2008 so I guess it was one of the last ones to come out of gardner.  Why it had sat on the rack at this gun shop for 4 years I have no idea.  She will be my new small game rifle, cant wait to get a scope and hit the range.   ;D

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Re: Found a Gardner made Sportster sitting on the shelf
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 12:32:20 PM »
Good for you guvnor, many of us here really enjoy our VERY accurate Sportsters. And to get a NIB one that was made by the old tried and true people at Gardner is a plus, like stepping back in time...enjoy it and get back to us with a report after you get it dialed in. Vermin, varmints, targets, and tin cans beware!....<><.... :)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline TopperT

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
  • Guard Dog
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 02:12:43 AM »
WOW!  Something is up with old-new Gardner Made rifles poping up ;D .  Just last week I picked up a brand new 2000 Superlight .223 at LL Bean of all places 8) .  Must be some good "mo-jo" in these rifles.  Congrats!  I love my 'Sportster' very accurate and tons of fun to shoot.  Jim.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 09:41:11 AM »
You get the 'Lucky Dog' award today!
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 01:33:12 AM »
Well I quess I'm the new kid, or at least the new kid to this forum and you can add the "Turnip truck scenario" as well but;  What's so good about a Gardner made rifle and how can you tell them apart?  I assume Gardner is a city somewhere.

PS: Let me know if I've committed Blasphamy by not knowing.

Offline DeerSlayer777

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 01:04:04 AM »
Where are they made now?

Offline Mad Dog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 04:03:47 AM »
guvnor,  good for you.  I bought a Sportster, back in January.  It was made in NY, but thankfully it is a sweet shooter, with zero issues, so far.

Mad Dog
Mad Dog

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 04:08:38 AM »
The History Archives are not required reading by new forum members, and it may take some time to get in on the secrete handshake and wink........... ;)
If you take some time to read the FAQs you will come up to speed you will be way ahead of the curve, and get a feel for changes over time. The factory was relocated and ownership juggled, etc., and like many things, there is a certain nostalgia by some for the 'good old days' and 'the old factory'.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974