Author Topic: Tungsten Filled Gold Bar found in UK  (Read 606 times)

Offline Singleshotsam

• I.T. Professional
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
Tungsten Filled Gold Bar found in UK
« on: March 30, 2012, 01:19:24 AM »
from www.theblaze.com

Here’s an unsettling story out of the U.K.:

Last week, the gold dealer ABC Bullion received an email from one of its refinery partners warning them about a Metalor 1000gm Au bar that had been drilled out and filled with Tungsten.
Uh Oh: Tungsten Filled Gold Bar Found in U.K.
“This bar was purchased by staff of a scrap dealer in [the] UK,” the email states.

“The bar appeared to be perfect other than the fact that it was 2gms underweight…The owner of the business that purchased the bar only became suspicious when he realized the weight discrepancy and had the bar cropped. He estimates between 30-40% of the weight of the bar to be Tungsten.”
With the price of gold skyrocketing, should we expect to see an increase in these types of gimmicks? Probably.
In fact, as the writers at Zero Hedge point out, this is the second time in two years this sort of thing has happened.
“The last time a story of Tungsten-filled gold appeared on the scene was just two years ago, and involved a 500  gram bar of gold full of tungsten, at the W.C. Heraeus foundry, the world’s largest metal refiner and fabricator,” the Hedge reports.
“So two documented incidents in two years: isolated? Or indication of the same phenomenon of precious metal debasement that marked the declining phase of the Roman empire.”

Carousel photo courtesy of Shutterstock.com.
I'm voting 3rd party in this election by writing in Jesus Christ for president.  Sadly even if this were an option most of you would still vote Republican because "It's a two party system."

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
Re: Tungsten Filled Gold Bar found in UK
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 02:32:25 AM »
The word embezel comes from a small sharp knife that was sued to cut the ridges off gold and silver coins.
buyer beware.

Offline magooch

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 03:55:15 AM »
I'm not saying that precious metals are a poor investment, but if it is such a great investment, why is it so highly advertised.  Wouldn't a wise owner want to keep it?  Just a couple of questions that I haven't been able to reconcile
Swingem

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 04:12:34 AM »
I'm not saying that precious metals are a poor investment, but if it is such a great investment, why is it so highly advertised.  Wouldn't a wise owner want to keep it?  Just a couple of questions that I haven't been able to reconcile
Miners dig for it, foundries turn it into pure gold, jewlery stores need it, and mints turn it into coinage.  All seaking to turn a comodity into $ to be used ot pay for this or that.  and someone that bought 1000 ounces of gold at $400 an ounce is now selling off tht gold to get other items they may want.  Like any comodity.  And if you own a business that buys and sells gold you would want ot advertise. 
Some of the places that advertise are asking almost twice with others are asking for coins and bars and excessive profits are waht have others enter the market.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 04:22:25 AM »
It is good go have some gold as a hedge, but gold is not a commodity you buy and sell quickly.  It costs a premium to buy it, and it costs a premium to sell it.  But it is at least tangible, unlike the paper dollar which is based on the value of our government........now how much would that be? ::)
Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)