Author Topic: Excess pressure signs in the Handi  (Read 3235 times)

Offline jackddavis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
    • HMDS
Re: Excess pressure signs in the Handi
« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2012, 06:42:10 AM »
You asked how it was determined that the 357 Maxi was safe on an SB1 frame and I showed you exactly how it was determined using the factory standard for the 44 mag which is safe on an SB1 frame since they offer it! The formula for determining breech thrust is valid, I've confirmed it specifically for the 357 Maxi with Johan Loubser, the Accurate Arms/Ramshot ballistician. See the SAAMI publication I posted, the pressure standard for the 357s have been in piezo PSI since 1993, you're using old info.

Tim

Sorry about that Tim. I misunderstood what you were saying. Actually it wasn't a question....I was pondering. But that's nit picking and unimportant. I've saved that referenced page for further studying.

It seems to me that if the SB1 frame is safe for Maxi. loads, then a less than Maxi load would also be safe. My tests show that and the computer software readout also shows that...even though is uses the old method (CUP). The CUP method is not as accurate as the piezo method, but it served us well for many, many decades and it shows that the load in question is well under the maximum safe pressures for the Handi (SB1).

What has me upset are the comments about me being responsible for other peoples possible stupidity. If something bad happens, then I'm at fault for posting that load. Never mind that every book on reloading, every component sold for reloading and every piece of reloading equipment comes with ample warnings about the dangers of reloading and directions for doing it safely. Every maximum load ever printed comes with the warning to never use that maximum load without backing off and working up slowly. What ever happened to adults being repsonsible for their actions (or inactions). Assuming those that are placing blame on me for things that haven't happened, are talking about adults. If they are referring to children, then they (children) should be under the supervision of a responsible adult. An adult should know better.

Jack

Continuous NRA member since ~1965

Offline jackddavis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
    • HMDS
« Reply #61 on: April 06, 2012, 09:09:13 AM »
A very interesting and informative article on the differences between CUP testing and PSI testing.

http://www.shootingtimes.com/2011/01/04/ammunition_st_cuppsireloaddata_200905/
Jack

Continuous NRA member since ~1965

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #62 on: April 06, 2012, 10:03:21 AM »
Here's one of the many previous discussions on CUP vs PSI.  ;)

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php?topic=224258.msg1099234588#msg1099234588
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain