Author Topic: When did they Start Bluing the Receivers?  (Read 778 times)

Offline tonycscott

• Trade Count: (0)
When did they Start Bluing the Receivers?
« on: April 09, 2012, 10:33:07 AM »
Hello.

I have a single shot 10 gauge H&R made in 1988 and the receiver is a bright blue with mill finish and the receiver is a dark grayish blue.

I have been told that H&R stopped producing the color case hardened receivers in 1987.  I think this is blued but one person thought it was case color hardened then Parkerized after market.

Does anyone know when H&R started bluing (or in the case of the Topper, nickel plating) their receivers?)?

Thanks,

Tony

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: When did they Start Bluing the Receivers?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 01:46:24 PM »
I've got a '92 20ga Pardner that's case colored, Brian56 can prolly tell ya when they quit case coloring SB1 frames, they still case color SB2 frames for the Buffalo Classic, unfortunately they don't do SB1s, just blued or black oxide, and of course the Topper Classic in matte nickel which has been discontinued.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline RPRNY

• Trade Count: (11)
  • A Real Regular
Re: When did they Start Bluing the Receivers?
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 01:45:27 PM »
Tony - glad you made your way over here. But if Tim doesn't know the precise answer, it may not be known. The existence of the '92 SB1 scuppers my theory that case coloring of the SB1s stopped with the demise of H&R Inc. But as Tim notes, Brian56 on this forum works for Remington/H&R and has been extremely helpful untold times to forum members. He may be the only one that can answer this one.
[spoof]The Handi-Rifle is a highly matrixed, vintage tactical shooting platform allowing operators high interchangeability, extended caliber diversity, and a wide choice of range related optical solutions suited to the demands of their tactical operating environments.  ;) [/spoof]