Author Topic: Sources of front sights for H&R Handis.  (Read 664 times)

Offline schuetzen

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Contributor
Sources of front sights for H&R Handis.
« on: April 11, 2012, 04:08:42 AM »
I've been contemplating trying a Handi rifle.  I'm thinking about getting something with an SB2 frame so I can order other barrels in the future such as shotgun or pistol calibers.  I like shooting with iron sights, but most new H&Rs come without front sights.  Do aftermarket suppliers have front ramps that fit Handi rifle barrels?  Are front sights easily obtained by H&R?
‎Is it really Zombie Max, if it's not .357 Max?

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: Sources of front sights for H&R Handis.
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 04:38:21 AM »
Way back when I bought my 258 Maxi it had open sites . (factory chambered very light fast taper barrel) but the front site was damaged I found that a Contender front site was the correct height and fit very well. I used one hole and tapped a second.

It worked perfectly!!! 

I do not know of any specifically made for the H&R but no worries all you need is know or figure heights and know barrel diameter. Then just open a Brownells catalogue and order what you like!

Good luck,
CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
Re: Sources of front sights for H&R Handis.
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 06:06:35 AM »
Most of the barrels you will need to be drilled & tapped for a front sight, cut a dovetail or solder.  IMO, epoxy can work but I wouldn't try it on a hunting rig.  The current barrels that have or can have open sights from the factory are:

500 S&W
45-70
243 SL 20"
223 SL 20" (IIRC)
30-30
Huntsman 50 Cal MZ barrel (accessory barrel program)
The 18.75" Trapper barrels (accessory barrel program)

The 32" 45-70 BC barrel is dovetailed for a front sight.  If you can find a NIB 45-70 BC 32" it would have a Williams Rear Peep & a Lyman Front globe sight with inserts.  The front sight on this barrel is dovetailed. 

there maybe others.

BB

RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.