Author Topic: shotgun barrel fitting  (Read 939 times)

Offline Deerhunter#1

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
shotgun barrel fitting
« on: April 10, 2012, 07:26:36 AM »
well just got my 44 mag talo 20 guage full choke combo back from illion. Now i am thinking about using the shotgun on another receiver so I dont have to change the stocks every time I use them also That said the one spare I have it locks up good and tight when closed . The relase latch is up pretty high but still has a little play. when opened it does have a slight wabble and i mean slight. Will this be a problem with a shotgun. I know if it was center fire I wouldnt accept it but a scatter gun?

Offline r29l20

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (26)
  • A Real Regular
Re: shotgun barrel fitting
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 07:48:02 AM »
I had the same thing, I just added a feeler gauge blade to it. The blade was so thin I didn't need to annel it. I just cut it to fit, and super glued it on. It works perfectly now. But yes you can use it the way it is, but the fix is so stupid simple, I would do the fix first.. :)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 10:06:19 AM »
Forend fit controls the fit when the action is open, adding a shim (I use aluminum furnace tape) between the spacer and forend will tighten it right up. If the barrel isn't loose when the action is locked up is what counts, you can shoot it without a forend on, so being loose when the action is open is a non issue.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Deerhunter#1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 10:30:00 AM »
That is what I did Tim. The barrel was fine when locked up but had wobble when open. The forearm was a little loose also. I took the forearm spacer screws out a little and put some folded alumminum foil in there tightened them up and she is fine. still a little latch play I think I should be good. On another note i posted about this being my turkey gun and you talked about the federal tightlock ammo #7 shot for the 20 guage which is what this is with full choke. Cabelas was out on my trip yesterday but they had the High velocity flightlock but only in #4 but were 5.99 a box of 10 with a 5 dollar rebate on two boxes. Hope they will do ok also. Will be patterning them next week as PA turkey opens in two weeks. thanks for the info.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 01:43:56 PM »
Heavyweight Flitecontrol #7, kinda spendy at $16 a box, but they have the same energy per pellet as #5 lead but there's a heck of a lot more of em, over 330 in the 1½oz 20ga load, makes for a dense 40yd load.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Deerhunter#1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 02:22:30 PM »
I called federal and he told me the same thing Tim. he said the 1 5/8 oz #4 has about 225. That said if i can get a good 30 yard pattern i will be happy. i will be hunting the thick woods of PA so far shots are probobly not an option anyway especially in the mountains I am going to hunt. But any day taking the gun for a walk is a good day.   

Offline r29l20

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (26)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 03:19:01 PM »
I missed the part about the action being open. :-[  Eyem knot sew smat, aftar awl. ???