Author Topic: Which one.  (Read 652 times)

Offline JoseBob

• Trade Count: (16)
Which one.
« on: April 20, 2012, 12:48:35 PM »
Ok.  I just aquired a 12 ga 28" full choke H&R Topper.  1982 vintage.  The transfer bar/striker assy. LOL.  is in op.  I have a 1981 vintage 12 ga. Topper with Modified choke.  I want to make a 12 ga shorty. I need advice on which barrel to cut.  It would cost me $70 to send frame in to have it repaired.  Both Barrels lock up tight on several different frames I have.    Which one?

Draw a fine bead on em Son!!!!   Bobby
Draw a fine bead on em Son!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Which one.
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 01:19:05 PM »
H&R won't work on either one if that's where ya plan on sending it, they only work on firearms made since 1987, won't touch H&R Inc firearms which is what those are. Order a t-bar from Numrich and fix it yourself using Perklo's download instructions, link in the FAQs trigger work section.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 05:24:08 PM »
JB - I would cut the full choked barrel.  My reasoning is that it is much easier to get a replacement full choke 12Ga in the classifieds than a modified choke 12Ga.  I'm only talking about the classifieds, not from the factory, which won't fit them to your gun for the reasons mentioned by quick.

Regarding the transfer bar/striker assembly which is in operable, I would take quicks advice and repair it yourself.  It's really not that hard.  If you don't feel you can do the repairs yourself, take it to a gunsmith, and have him also cut the barrel for you while your there.
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline JoseBob

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 07:22:55 AM »
Thanks for the replies.  Quick, I read the instructions by perklo.  I am purdy sure I can do it.  It is just that Numerich has the t-bar for $23.00 dollars.  I don't know if I want to put any more money into it.  I bought it for the barrel paying only $50.  I can put the stock set on the classifieds and get probably $35 back.  Keeping the frame to canibalize for what ever parts I may need later.   

The repair center for H&R, I believe in Indiana (may be wrong) said that they would do it but it is definitely out of warranty, so they would be doing the repair as a gunsmith only, not as a factory rep.  Anyway, I will probably cut the Full Choke to make my shorty.  The modified is just more versatile.  Thanks again...   Bobby
Draw a fine bead on em Son!

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 07:31:19 AM »
JB - You can pick up the transfer bar a lot cheaper than that.  You can get a complete set of internal parts (used) including the transfer bar, on ebay for around $35 shipped.

You can also try a post on the H&R WTB classifieds.  I'm sure that someone has one they could sell you for a lot less.  It's always better to have more than one (receiver).
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.