Author Topic: Brass Conversion Charts on the internet?  (Read 866 times)

Offline Steve P

• Trade Count: (10)
Brass Conversion Charts on the internet?
« on: April 17, 2012, 11:54:31 AM »
Has anyone found a brass conversion chart on the internet?  I don't want a book or a how to....  I just want the simple chart that says from .30-30 brass you can make these 50 wildcats or obsolete cartridge cases.  From 30-06 you can make these 25 wildcats or obsolete cartridges.  .308s, 32-20s, hornets, etc.   There has to be a simple chart or table out there with 500 cartridges and the parent case that they are created from.   

Steve :)
"Life is a play before an audience of One.  When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"  SP 2002

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
Re: Brass Conversion Charts on the internet?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 04:40:36 PM »
One of the easiest and most complete listings I use is the one at Cheaper than Dirt.  ;)

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MediaPages/ArticleDetail.aspx?mediaid=433
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline wncchester

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 02:59:56 AM »
That site has a good list of wildcats but the 'can be made from' comments are quite simplistic; most of the listed cartridges can also be reformed and made from quite a few other cases than the one that's suggested.   Best solution to find what can be made from what is to simply check the head/rim diameters and length of the cartridge of interest and compare that with what's available.   If a match is possible, anyone with the experience and skills to reform should have no trouble finding a case match they can work with.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline Steve P

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 07:40:39 AM »
Thanks Tacklebury, that helps.  I can post into a spreadsheet and get some information that I need.

"Best solution to find what can be made from what is to simply check the head/rim diameters and length of the cartridge of interest and compare that with what's available."  Wncchester, best solution is to find a copy of the conversion chart and save a lot of time!!   ;)

Thanks again for the help.

Steve  :)
"Life is a play before an audience of One.  When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"  SP 2002

Offline Flash

• Trade Count: (82)
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 09:27:21 AM »
The book "Cartridges of the World" has the most comprehensive list of rim, shoulder, length etc of every cartridge in the world.
What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger!