Author Topic: Peep Sites  (Read 974 times)

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
Peep Sites
« on: February 10, 2004, 10:05:45 AM »
Reading some of the old discussions I find several people are going to scopes because they can't see the reguler sights anymore.  I also have that problem since I went to bi-focals.  My son shoots on his school rifle team, and he wanted me to try his new Anschutz.  I realized that I could see the front sight and the target well.  Since you automatically center the front sight in the rear apature, bingo no longer need a scope.  I've converted all my lever guns, and several of my singleshots to peep sights.  Also Alaska has a no scope policy on Muzzleloaders, so I've converted all my inlines to peep sights.  Sure makes it easier to shoot on gray rainey days.  No fogged or wet scopes.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Snowshoe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
    • http://www.playfarmers.com
Peep Sites
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2004, 01:54:54 PM »
I am just starting to use peep sights. I picked up a Lyman #57 for my Lyman Deerstalker, and if it works as good as I hope I will change over some more rifles. I dislike the extra weight of a scope, and some rifles just should not wear a scope period.
Snowshoe

Offline lonewolf5347

• Avid Poster
peep sights
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2004, 02:11:32 PM »
How do you guys find the peep sight in low light conditions,seem I read a couple of post that the target is some what hard to find at dusk or early morning.I would like to add a peep sight to my t/c hawkens,right now with iron sights I try not to shoot past 65 yards with iron sights. :D

Offline lilabner

• A Real Regular
Peep Sites
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2004, 05:03:44 AM »
I used peep sights for a number of years before going to scopes. They are quick and accurate at the shorter ranges. At long range, the front sight can cover the target making shot placement difficult. There is a front sight used in target shooting which is another peep rather than a bead, and that would extend range somewhat. In low light shooting, the bead must be visible - something like an ivory bead.  They are excellent, rugged, foolproof hunting sights. Remove the disc for hunting. The hole may look too big for accuracy, but it is not. You will still center the front sight automatically.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Peeps
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2004, 10:24:28 AM »
lonewolf5347: peep sights let in more light to your eyeball than any scope will.  If you are worried about your front sight covering your target at a particular range, sight your firearm in for a 6:00 hold so you can clarly see your target when you bring the sights to bear.  You can use a bead, as lilabner suggests, or get a blade front sight with a white stripe on it from Brownells.  Works very well for me.  HTH. Mikey.

Offline Jim n Iowa

• A Real Regular
sights
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2004, 03:16:20 PM »
Sourdough
I put some recvr. sights on a Leveraction as its a short range gun for me. Now I wear tri-focals(age) and with out the eye glass's I find I am right on with the peep sight. In fact with a smaller apt. all I see in focus is the front sight and point to the hog or bear that I aim to hunt.
I plan on traveling thru your town in June this year.
Jim