Author Topic: a nosler bullet  (Read 755 times)

Offline Country Boy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
a nosler bullet
« on: April 24, 2012, 11:51:20 AM »
Went to the range today and shot a used .243 I bought. Found some purple tipped bullets(I'm color blind but I think they are 95 grn purple and not blue) in my duffle so I shot and coronographed them. Got 3100 fps out of this old remington 700 adl with 42 grns of imr 4350  I don"t know the weight or what these bullets are for ? are they deer hunting bullets ? They shoot really good and it was windy. Then my kid shot my coronograph with his .223 and that was the end of that ! These bullets syhot so good and fast that I was wondering if they could be used for deer hunting or should I just stick with my old Rem.100 grn corelocks ?

Offline shot1

Re: a nosler bullet
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 12:01:01 PM »
I can't believe that you loaded up some bullets and shot them and did not know the weight of them. If indeed they are 95 gr Nosler ballistic tips which sounds like what you described and to the load and velocity you got then yes they are very good deer bullets.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 12:21:44 PM »
As a general rule with conventional core and jacket bullets anything under 90 Grns is a varmint bullet making anything over a "deer" bullet...

There are always exceptions and Sierras 85G boat tail is such a bullet. Its also a excellent choice of long range speedy goat hunters...

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Country Boy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 12:23:32 PM »
Thank You ! I do a lot of dumb stuff but that happens when in your 80"s I just couldn"t read the label I put on the loads. 8)

Offline spinafish

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 11:06:27 AM »
the 95 grain BT is a deer bullet and the tip is purple. 
the most heartwreching words any man will ever hear
"depart from me, I never knew you"  Jesus
We may ignore, but we can nowhere evade the presence of God. The world is crowded with Him. He walks everywhere incognito.” C.S. Lewis

Offline Steve P

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 02:08:44 AM »
95 ballistic tip works on deer, but is better on coyotes. 
Spend the additional few bucks and get the 100 gr partitions.
Same point of aim, near identical ballistics, and better results with deer.

Steve :)
"Life is a play before an audience of One.  When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"  SP 2002