Author Topic: What do you use your hand gun (s ) for  (Read 1181 times)

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
What do you use your hand gun (s ) for
« on: April 26, 2012, 12:35:02 PM »
I have a couple dozen handguns and use quite a few of them for different games and target events.  Have carried a few for personal protection (legal and not)
I shoot a 900 point 22 Match every so oftern with my 22 Pistols
I shoot a falling steel plate match with my auto and revolver 22's
I shoot a couple of different tactical events with my center fire autos and revolvers.  When I would win I would swithch guns to one I have not used in a while to get it some use.
Have hunted small game with the 22's and carried the big bore revolvers but have not yet taken anything with one.
OH and have shot vermints with a T/C.
What do you shoot?

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
Re: What do you use your hand gun (s ) for
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 02:27:27 PM »
EAA Tanfoglio Match .45 ACP - Target/bowling pin shoots

Ruger Blackhawk Conv. .45C/.45ACP - Deer hunting / some target or plinking with ACP's mainly

H&R 903 9-shot .22 Target Revolver - targets, plinking, small game

Ruger ROA - Muzzle loading season this coming one / plinking

Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • Sweet Home Alabama
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 02:42:18 PM »
I have one close to me all the time. I use them for just plinking and having fun, hunting and  personal protection. Occasionally I find a great deal on one I don't really care for and I'll buy it for a later sale or trade. Last one like that was a S&W 460 XVR. Guy needed money and sold it to me right. I shot it a couple of times and sold it for a nice profit. Got an itch now for a Ruger SR22 and a MK III Hunter. Got a bunch of 22's I want to shoot up.
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die the world cries and you rejoice.

Offline RevJim

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 07:33:50 AM »
  I plink with my Dad's old Single Six/.22 mag cylinder and take it on predator calling trips. I like a centerfire if I am big game hunting/camping/woods bumming, and for CC. So far, my best centerfire for what I want has been the glock 29. I have also used a Ruger .38 special w/160 hardcast for varminting trips, puts a gold ball size hole through a fox. I expect it would hurt a Mt Lion too.

Offline jimster

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 05:07:42 AM »
I like plinking more than anything else, the handguns for defense I practice like they are supposed to be used for a bit, but when that's over it's plinking with all of them. Inanimate objects are more fun than targets. I like plinking with single actions the best. I have totally reverted back to revolvers for both carry and fun the last few years.

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 05:58:38 AM »
Daily carry for personal defense (9mm, .40S&W, .38spl),  informal plinking/target shooting, small game hunting (with the above but mostly with 22s).  I've won a few dead mark matches in the past but like Jimster I prefer reactive targets over paper targets.  Stuff that explodes, makes noise, jumps, spins etc. are more fun than punching tight groups in paper.       
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Wyo. Coyote Hunter

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 06:15:55 AM »
 ;) I always have a handgun or three either on my person or in the immediate area...right now my carry gun is a 2.5 in model 19 S & W...my gal is carrying my model 60...but sometimes I carry my model 28 4" in a shoulder holster if I am wearing a coat or vest...also if I am in the hills...if we travel to grizzly country I either pack my .45 Ruger long colt, or a stainless .44 mag...lately when I am going on my morning walk, in addition to the 19, I carry a  2" barreled kit gun..one of the local idiots kept a coyote for a pet..it escaped and is hanging around town...he is cute, but I don't want him chasing either me or my golden...same goes for several attack type dogs...have several 44 mags. all smiths, and a Ruger .44 spl. with a 7.5 in barrel plus a couple 45 autos...usually in the course of a mth..I shoot all of these at rocks, varmits, water filled jugs,or what have you...another real favorite is a 6" model 28..perhaps the most accurate pistol I own..my gal has a couple autos, a 9mm and a .40, but finds the Smith easier to operate and generally handle..one of the kit guns makes an excellent pratice weapon for her...we have a bunch of 22 pistols, but I don't shoot them as much as I used to...but encourage my gal to use them at every opportunity...over the years, I shot about 15 head of big game with sixguns, but unless something very easy shows up, those days are behind me...game is scarce and I don't have the opportunities I used to have for handgun hunting, or perhaps the desire is gone...I love shooting them at the targets I mentioned and varmits...they are pure fun :)

Offline BruceP

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2012, 03:53:50 PM »
More often than not most of mine are used to decorate the inside of my safe.  ;D
I have been shooting a few of them at the steel targets at the range.

Bruce
Lord, Please help me
Keep my small mind open
and my big mouth shut.

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 07:39:32 AM »
Like BruceP most are afe queens, but there are always at least four ready to handlle the task of ridding the property of un-invited guest!

Some "might" get in a little target use on occassion.

Offline irold

• Trade Count: (22)
  • A Real Regular
  • "Live today , for tomorrow may never come"
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 10:00:47 AM »
Have a 44 Blk hawk Hunter Bisley ( love that gun ) I hunt with ,  a Redhawk 4" 44 for hunting and general woods carry.  My P-345 and sp-101 are "carry" weapons ....have several .22s (2-mkIIIs , single six ) to plink with....and a couple others that mostly take-up space....S&W 66 , couple Encores with scoped barrels ,....oh yea , my Springfields ( 1911s) mostly are used shoot target.   Really wish I had a range to shoot steel....those of you that have such places are very fortunate. 

regards , irold

Offline Ladobe

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2012, 09:06:34 PM »
I grew up shooting handguns on the ranch as much as rifles/shotguns, and by the mid 60's was a serious handgun hunter.   So from then on I used them for almost all hunting and a few competition disciplines for over 40 years until I stopped hunting/shooting.   Used DA's and semi auto's for CCW.   Have owned a lot of firearms in my life, but I've had more handguns than rifles and shotguns combined.   While I had more than my fair share of DA and semi auto handguns, the SAA's and specialty handguns were my go to's for the lions share of my shooting.
Evolution at work. Over two million years ago the genus Homo had small cranial capacity and thick skin to protect them from their environment. One species has evolved into obese cranial fatheads with thin skin in comparison that whines about anything and everything as their shield against their environment. Meus

Offline NickSS

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2012, 10:50:03 PM »
I have quite a few hand guns and mostly shoot them at targets either paper or steel except for bowling pins once in awhile.  I have shot quite a few varmints, rats and a couple of deer with a handgun and they all died so I guess they worked as designed.  I would not say that I am a handgun hunter its just that on two occasions that I had an opportunity to shoot a deer the only gun available to me was the one I had on my belt.  The first one was shot with a model 36 smith in 38spl and the second with a 45 auto.  Both animals got hit between three and four times and both died after going around 100 yards.  Neither was killed right there.  My experience with varmints is much better as I have shot dozens of them and have not had may go any distance after being hit. My favorite carry gun is my 1911 officers model in 45acp.  It disappears in an in the pants holster and is readily available when and if needed.

Offline oldandslow

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2012, 02:51:29 AM »
Big boy toys. I shoot at paper some but mostly at reactive targets. I have some steel swing targets that I made that range in size from 2" to 8" that I set up at a calicke pit not too far away.. I've about decided that I should retire those under the 4" one. At 25 yards it's about impossible for me to hit the small ones anymore. Ocassionaly I'll make small rocks from larger caliche rocks. Mostly I waste ammo anymore as the intension tremors are getting worse. I'm seriously thinking about using a shooting stick.  :(
A handgun does go with me when I travel anywhere.