Author Topic: .223, bull or standard?  (Read 311 times)

Offline NYRebel13

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Avid Poster
.223, bull or standard?
« on: April 27, 2012, 03:33:05 PM »
I know this has probably been asked alot but here goes.  I am going to be sending in my frame to have a .223 barrel fitted but don't know if I want a bull barrel or standard barrel.  I plan on hunting with it and carrying but if it turns out like my bolt action I just traded, then it will problaby see more range time than hunting due to my busy schedule.  What is the weight difference in the barrels?  Is there any accuracy differences?  Most shots will be between 100 and 200 yards.  I am still waiting the the rest of the money to send it in but just want to make sure I know what I want when I ger it.
My biggest fear in life is dying and my wife selling my guns for what I told her I paid for them.

Offline r29l20

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (26)
  • A Real Regular
Re: .223, bull or standard?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 05:28:42 PM »
If you float the forend, the standard bbl will be fine. If you plan on shooting alot of ammo in a short time, the heavy bbl will be a better choice. They will both have the same potential to be accurate, but the standard bbl, will heat up faster, and walk on you quicker.

Offline TNBilly

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
Re: .223, bull or standard?
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 05:40:10 PM »
The standard barrel is right .670 and the bull barrels are ~.800.  Bull barrel feels heavier but they're short enough it's really never been a concern for me.  Accuracy has been IME barrel specific.  I have a 223 standard barrel that will shoot under and inch at 100 with the loads it likes.  It's not the tack-driver that my Contender carbine is perhaps but for the distances you've stated you'll be using it, probably good enough if you load.  I have on the other hand a 308 in bull barrel form that hasn't seen the smaller side of 1" yet.  It hovers just outside the 1" mark with a couple so I'm hopeful.  I'd recommend you find and example of each in a local gun shop and see how each feels, I'd think it more a personal thing.
America is great because she is good, and if America ever ceases to be good, America will cease to be great.”        Alexis de Tocqueville