Author Topic: New 1841 Cannon  (Read 892 times)

Offline lthardman

• Trade Count: (0)
New 1841 Cannon
« on: April 30, 2012, 05:00:21 AM »
While I stop and read often on this Forum, I post very little.  But, I did want to show off my latest cannon.  It joins my two other cannons and a mortar made by dominick. 

This 1841 GB cannon barrel was made to my specs by armorer77, HMR Cannons.  Solid 1018 steel.  Perhaps you have seen some of armorer77's videos, and if so you know how strong his tubes are.  Ed was great to work with so that I could get the length and diameter trunnions I needed.  I chose to use both upper and lower trunnion straps, and those were also made by HMR Cannons, a GBO Sponsor.

I made the carriage you see pictured.  There are over 70 hardwood dowels, along with what seemed like pints of epoxy and Gorilla Glue.  In addition, there are six hardwood rods that pass vertically through the side pieces, the trunnion straps actualy are fastened to four of them.  Four hardened steel rods run horizontally through the carriage.  The wheels are cast iron that roll on straight roller bearings, and I fit pieces of wood into them for looks.  The carriage is based upon schematics I have seen of the carriages on the USS Constitution. 

Ready to make some smoke and noise next.  Thanks, Ed, for the collaboration. 

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
Re: New 1841 Cannon
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 07:17:20 AM »
Good work, Ithardman! The HMR M1841 barrel matched with your naval carriage makes a fine looking rig.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline rusty barrels

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 07:39:53 AM »
Is that a golf ball caliber?

Offline lthardman

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 08:02:28 AM »
Is that a golf ball caliber?

Yes , it is a golf ball caliber.

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 12:19:32 PM »
Very nice!  Looking forward to some shooting results and photos.
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 02:54:54 PM »
How come you made the  carriage so  tall?

Offline lthardman

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 03:57:28 PM »
How come you made the  carriage so  tall?

That carriage was originally made for a different gun, one that is quite a bit larger.  I made a new carriage for that larger gun, and decided to modify this one for the new HMR cannon.  The pics make it look taller than it looks in person.  Maybe because I have been working on this quite a bit to modify it for the new tube, it doesn't look that tall to me anymore.  So, from this point on, if anyone else asks I'll probably just say that I wanted it that tall. 

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 07:40:37 PM »
You can also say that it's a garrison carriage, because they usually carried the gun higher than a ships carriage, and you've also got metal tyres on the trucks (which goes along with that type of carriage).
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 01:36:04 AM »
 Beautiful.

I like the "high" look. The extensive dowling and adhesive you employed will no doubt help the carriage withstand the forces of firing.

Love the wood inserts in the wheels; I'm gonna steal that ideer for my next build.  ;)
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 09:43:43 AM »
The guns at Fort Ross have this high carriage so the barrels can reach the  embrasures.   Haven't see  it anywhere else, just wondered.