Author Topic: El Cheapo GB Mortar Ammo  (Read 489 times)

Offline Scout.308

• Trade Count: (0)
El Cheapo GB Mortar Ammo
« on: May 02, 2012, 09:24:58 AM »
After pricing new GBs(!!), I bought dozens of hollow practice balls at WalMart, and a small bag of QuickCrete mortar at Lowes.  Drilled a nice big filler hole in each ball, filled each with dry mortar powder, set 'em hole-up in a plastic pan a little deeper than the balls are tall, and slowly filled the pan with hot water with a few drops of dish soap to aid penetration.  Let 'em soak/set at least overnight, drain, rinse, and let 'em dry.  Drying only reduces their weight by a negligible few grams. 

The second batch took me about a third of the time needed for the first.  That time, I drilled a bigger hole, used a cup to just pour-in mortar powder and dispensed with using a (slow) funnel, and made a lot more in one batch (found a bigger tray in the back of my wife's collection). 

Cheap! Fast. Fly straighter than they should. Reusable if you recover them, but cheap enough that you may not bother.  I'm cheap enough that I do collect and re-shoot almost all of them. 

For safety's sake, don't forget to carefully rinse her pans and vacuum-up the inevitable mortar dust. :D

Offline moose53

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
Re: El Cheapo GB Mortar Ammo
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 09:30:53 AM »
Its interesting to see how inventive people can get when they are playing   ;D

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 02:32:42 PM »
Scout, your safety instruction could save lives.
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline jeeper1

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 06:43:27 PM »
I buy golf balls from Walmart in bags of 48 for under $20. I don't consider that expensive compared to ammo for some of my weapons and flare launchers. Some of those can run over $10 each. 
I may not be completely sane, but at least I don't think I have the power to influence the weather.